Basic Trope: A dreaming character meets another, real character and they talk while he dreams.
- Straight: Edwin, dreaming of a meadow, sees his old Mentor Godfrey come over it and explain to him where he is, and why Edwin must go and find the MacGuffin.
- Exaggerated: Sleeping characters land in a Dreamland where they are always bumping into each other.
- Downplayed: Edwin dreams of Godfrey, who says some wise things. Edwin, waking up, doesn't know if he was talkign with him or just Dreaming the Truth.
- Justified: Godfrey is a mystic who knows how to communicate through dreams.
- Inverted: Harold, a dream figure, comes out of Dreamland to warn Edwin.
- Subverted: Edwin dreams of Godfrey and realizes that it's just a Wish Fulfillment on his part.
- Double Subverted: Nevertheless he obeys, and Godfrey is delighted; no other student of his had obeyed, and it could have been disastrous.
- Parodied: Godfrey shows up in the middle of Edwin's sex dream and insists on having a long conversation while Edwin "does his business."
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Godfrey decides not to use his dreamtalking powers for a more conventional method of communication.
- Enforced: "Godfrey's actor has another commitment, so we have to film his scenes in one day. To save on sets, let's have him only talk to Edwin in the dreamscape."
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Godfrey casts a spell that allows him to enter Edwin's dream.
- Exploited: Godfrey uses it to communicate where the Evil Sorcerer can't overhear them.
- Defied: Edwin buys an amulet that blocks dream talking so he can get some rest.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Talking in Your Dreams