This is where one character gives another character an item as the symbol of an express or implied promise, with the intent that it will be returned at the fulfillment of such promise. The item does not have to be valuable or important in any way except as a symbol of the promise. It may function as a #1 Dime, a Memento MacGuffin, or even an Iconic Item, but not always. Usually this promise is to be reunited later after some separation, such as one character being taken to jail.
Usually happens during a Heartwarming Moment.
- One Piece: When Shanks gives Luffy his hat- with the promise to become strong.
- Dragon Ball: Goku's four-star Dragonball, given to Bulma to use for a wish.
- Hunterx Hunter: During the Hunter examination arc, Hisoka gives his badge to Gon asking for it to be returned when Gon is strong enough to punch him.
- In the beginning of Rurouni Kenshin, Kaoru lends Kenshin her hair ribbon so that he will come back.
- Battlestar Galactica (2003): Before Lee has to lead a mission with low chance of success, Bill entrust to him his own fatherís lucky lighter. Lee promises to give it back..
- Final Fantasy XII: Balthier comforts Penelo with his handkerchief, promising to bring Vaan back.