An endless racial war, a magical island, and a lone girl stuck in the midst of it all.
Kaia, one of the last living members of the Treek race, has spent her life in hiding. Each race wields its own form of magic to claim what is theirs and repay the hurt caused by others. When an island appears in the ocean overnight, many see it as a resource. For Kaia, it brings hope that she might one day be with her people again.
Join the journey as Kaia fights to find the family that was taken from her. Will the endless hatred push her to seek revenge? Or will she find another way forward?
A fantasy adventure WebSerialNovel story authored by HoustonHare. It can be found at the author's website and RoyalRoad.
This story provides examples of:
- Color-Coded Elements: Each race tends to dress within the colors of their magic. Humans tend to wear a lot of red to match their fire magic. Elven military uniforms are grey and yellow to match storm magic.
- Color-Coded Wizardry: Each race has its own form of magic and each form of magic produces a different colored glow. Green for Nature, Yellow for Storm, Blue for Water, White for Sight, Bronze for Earth, Orange for Transformation, Red for Fire, Purple for Illusion.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Kaia's parents were taken from her when she was 10 years old. Unsure of their safety, Kaia is left effectively an orphan.
- Elemental Powers: The majority of the types of magic in the world of Sprig are elemental. They are Fire, Earth, Water, Storm, and Nature as well as others.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Kaia and Tigala become friends through being forced through hard choices and the need to work together.
- Genocide Survivor: Although the story doesn't dwell on this fact too much, Kaia, the main character, is a survivor of the near genocide enacted on the Treek race.
- Great Offscreen War: The world is involved in a war that is put on hold while the colonists on Daegal search for their missing people.
- Loyal Animal Companion: Chipry serves the role of the loyal animal companion throughout the first several arcs.
- The Plague: The Treeks were said to unleash a plague on the world when Kaia was a child.
- The Power of Friendship: As Kaia learns to trust the people she meets on Daegal, they discover that they are stronger together.
- Standard Fantasy Races: Elves and Dwarves are commonplace in the world of Sprig.