There are currently two books in the series, the eponymous Free Wrench and its sequel, Skykeep.
Free Wrench and Skykeep contain examples of:
- Action Girl: Lil certainly, although Nita fits between this and Lady of Adventure.
- Applied Phlogiston: Phlogiston floats the airships and powers the laser beams and generally makes the world go round.
- In addition, there's the fug, which mutates animals and humans into rather ghastly versions of themselves...when it doesn't kill them.
- Cool Airship: The Dreadnought. When you positively, absolutely, need to put the fear of the fug into an entire continent, accept no substitutes.
- the rather ragtag Wind Breaker qualifies as of Skykeep, when Nita fully repairs it and adds a little Calderan bling as well, so much so that it's called "the most recognizable ship in the Rim" or some such.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Yes, Gunner finds one. Yes, he uses it.
- Gadgeteer Genius: In a continent where no-one else even knows how to repair their own machinery, or even tell if it's broken, Nita qualifies, or is at least perceived as this by everyone else.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Gunner, and it's probably for the better.
- The Captain: Captain West, of course.
- The Sky Is an Ocean: Complete with Sky Pirates!
- Trigger Happy: The appropriately nicknamed Gunner and his treasure trove of Cool Guns...including a rocket launcher.
- Wrench Wench: Nita, full stop.