The Cyndaquil in Team Spider-Skarmory is a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers fanfic written by Stinkfly3. It features herself and Super Skarmory (who goes by the name Eyan) as two of the main characters and the plot is loosely based on Super Skarmory's walkthrough for Explorers of Sky.
This story provides examples of:
- Author Avatar: The fanfic is told through the perspective of a Cyndaquil named Karelia. However, Karelia happens to be the author's name and her Mystery Dungeon avatar started off as a Cyndaquil.
- Bystander Syndrome: Karelia initially refuses to retrieve a Treecko's pendant because she views the retrieval as a job for someone else.
- Mythology Gag: The team name in this fanfic is a combination of Team Skarmory (from Super Skarmory's walkthrough) and Team Spiderman (the author's team in her game).
- In fact, when asked why Karelia wanted the team name to be Team Spiderman, she says: "I don't know why, but the sound of it is so awes-mazing!"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Eyan and Karelia. The most significant examples come from their behaviors towards Chatot. While Eyan is mostly angry at him for certain reasons, Karelia treats the bird Pokemon with respect. That's probably why she's the one who gives Chatot 90% of the money earned from completing jobs.
- Running Gag: While training at the guild, Eyan heads back to his room to get more sleep after the morning announcements. Of course, Karelia has to drag him out of bed afterwards.
- Surprisingly Happy Ending: With Team Martian as the guild's allies instead of Team Skull, the Perfect Apple Incident is completely avoided.
- The Cameo: Team Martian is none other than Your Favorite Martian as Pokemon.