It concerns three humans turned Pokémon: one a Vulpix with no memory, with a piece of nevermelt ice around her neck; one an Archen with only one memory which he hates to think of; and one a Zigzagoon, who remembers everything about his human life. All three eventually join exploration guilds in an attempt to discover how they came to be Pokémon and why they were turned into Pokémon in the first place.
Unfortunately, they soon discover the world they have arrived in is becoming more and more unstable. The legendary Pokémon who controlled the weather have gone missing, and the world is slowly growing colder... and the humans turned Pokémon may be the only ones who can save it.
Written 2011 - 2013. It can be found here.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Defenders of Warmth Contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Kuyurem.
- Blood Knight: Edge/Cecil, who at first just seeks out worthy opponents to challenge to battle, even killing some of them, hoping to grow stronger. He even attempts to wake up the extremely powerful legendary Pokémon who balance the wold just so he can fight them. Discovers the reason for this attitude when he remembers he failed to save Alexa on their last night as humans
- Driven to Suicide: Vulpix was this by Kuyurem when human. She wanted to be important, and he promised her that she would be if she gave herself to him. Ironically she becomes instrumental in stopping him, as the hero who awakens Reshiram.
- Dynamic Character: Max, who starts the story a coward and ends it brave and confident.
- Elective Mute: Vulpix, because of her social awkwardness and amnesia, choosing to only talk to Bulbasaur and, later, Isola. Anyone else she only speaks to when spoken to. This changes after she remembers her human life.
- Like a Duck Takes to Water: Alexa, who is a very good flyer, even though she was initially a human, not a Pidgey.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Vulpix, who is unsure how to interact with anyone who is not Bulbasaur/Sage until after the Solstice Games. The reason for this is she does not remember how to act around other Pokémon.