Outlaw Mares is a trilogy by Digodragon about a down and out of luck Trixie's adventures in the lawless lands of Equestria's west. She initially sets out to confront a pony who put out a story in the newspaper about her vowing to vanquish a gang of outlaws, only to get drawn into a deeper conflict involving a secret organization bent on collecting dark artifacts for sinister purposes.
The three stories in this trilogy are:
The Outlaw Mares series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Cheryl is out to avenge her cousin, the late sheriff of Saddlestone, by punching ponies in the face.
- Affably Evil: Debon Aire thinks of himself as a gentleman.
- Ancient Conspiracy: The Horizon Walkers exist to secure powerful artifacts to use against the enemies of Equestria.
- Badass Bookworm: Trixie (formerly the Great and Powerful) defiantly qualifies, having taken on Diamond Dogs, cultists, and evil conspiracies despite being a disgraced stage performer with a small bag of tricks limited to telekinesis and fireworks.
- Big Bad: Debon Aire, leader of a secret society known as the Horizon Walkers.
- Handicapped Badass: Ellie, a pegasus with a missing wing, has designed a prosthetic wing that allows her to glide short distances.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: At best, Debon Aire and his Horizon Walkers are this. It turns out that some of them lack even the good intentions.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Zeeps is a changeling that the conspiracy has been using to impersonate ponies. They abuse and starve her on a regular basis. After they leave her to die in a collapsed mine, she decides to side with Trixie.
- Perky Female Minion: Zeeps is quite fun when she joins Trixie's team and starts working for the good guys.
- The Western: This is a Wild West story in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic universe. The titles of each story are a reference to various Clint Eastwood films.