Ayano is a teenage girl in love with her best friend, Misao. She wants to confess to Misao but is scared of what that would do to their relationship. Unknown to Ayano, her seemingly ever-cheerful friend has secret problems of her own.
The fanfic is unfinished and is unlikely to ever be finished, It last updated in 2008, with the writer putting it on "hiatus" because they lost interest in Lucky Star.
This fanfic provides example of:
- Dark Fic: Downplayed. It's serious and somber but not necessarily dark. In contrast, the source is a comedic slice of life series.
- Dead Fic: The story hasn't updated since 2008 due to the author's disinterest in continuing it. The fic was near completion too.
- Everyone Can See It: Misao's parents and Ayano's mother could tell that they were dating, even without being told.
- Gayngst: Misao has been in love with Ayano since age 12 but has repressed her feelings for fear of ruining her friendship. A good chunk of her repression was related to it being a same-gender crush.
- Girlfriend in Canada: Ayano makes up a boyfriend so that boys won't hit on her.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Discussed between Ayano's parents. Ayano's father doesn't mind fantasies about lesbians, but the real thing (and with his daughter at that) makes him uncomfortable.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Misao and Ayano are high schoolers in a relationship. They deal with the misconception that their relationship is just "practice" for a straight relationship.
- Slash Fic: Máscara Sonreindo is a Misao/Ayano ship-fic.