FK4 is a virtual continuation of the Vampire Detective Series Forever Knight written by Greer Watson. The series consists of a 22-episode fourth season written in a modified script format.
Provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Urs, a vampire character who appeared in four episodes of Season 3, becomes part of the main cast.
- Continuation: One of two fan continuations for Forever Knight.
- Continuity Nod: A bunch of references to small details in the show which came up once and were never mentioned again. For example, Natalie's cat and Tracy's knowledge of tattoos.
- Eagleland Osmosis: Discussed in the third episode, where Nick mentions "taking the Fifth" and comments that Natalie has said it before (in Season 3), and she replies that they must watch too much American television. In the commentary, the author addresses the inaccuracies in the show created by Eagleland Osmosis and what she was able to correct without causing huge contradictions.
- Fantastic Racism: The flashbacks in "Night Vision" explore vampiric prejudice against carouches, vampires who drink animal blood.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Follows the rules of vampires from the series, which is mostly an aversion of the trope. A few episodes explore the idea, introduced in the series, that certain aspects of vampirism (such as being burned by holy symbols) depend on a vampire's belief in them.
- Rewrite: The Forever Knight series finale is completely disregarded, and the penultimate episode is rewritten, based on the idea that the Downer Ending wouldn't have happened if the series had been renewed for another season.
- Script Fic: The series is written in television script format, but with enough added detail about camera angles and character actions that they're more than twice as long as an average television script.