Coveralls is a fanfiction for The X-Files written by Botnik Studios, similar to Harry Potter and the Portrait of What Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash, and much like that story, it's nonsensical.
It seems to be mainly about the series's two protagonists, Agents Mulder and Scully, investigating something like in a normal episode, but it doesn't otherwise make any sense.
Coveralls provides examples of
- Adaptational Backstory Change: Apparently, Mulder's sister disappeared down the drain rather than being abducted by aliens.
- Adaptational Villainy: Scully has a "knife office", attacks the man wearing the eponymous coveralls despite him not doing anything, and thinks poison is beautiful. Mulder also claims to like human flesh.
- Blatant Lies: Mulder once claims that he isn't Mulder, but is, in fact, two agents and that they're actually parked outside the office.
- Character Tics:
- Mulder nods at people and inanimate objects and he also crawls a lot.
- Scully sighs a lot. Heck, the first thing she does is "sigh into the room".
- Crack Fic: The story is nonsensical due to being written by an AI.
- Dissonant Serenity: Mulder's father (it's unclear if they mean Bill Mulder or the Cigarette-Smoking Man) smiles despite his "large bloodsoaked wound".
- Embarrassing Tattoo: Mulder got a picture of a dead cow across his knees because "men are infected with an emptiness".
- I Am A Humanitarian: At one point, Mulder says, "You know, I never thought I'd like a human flesh, but I do. I do."
- Knife Nut: Scully, who's more unhinged than canonically, has a "knife office".
- Literal Ass-Kicking: Downplayed when Scully "knocks Mulder slightly on the bottom".
- Mad Scientist: Scully has a "knife office" and finds a poison beautiful. She also claims that she has to "get back to [her] scientific achievements".
- Naked People Are Funny: A "shadowy figure" undresses Mulder, which comes off as funny due to the silliness of the story.
- No Ending: The story ends on an unresolved "to be continued".
- No Name Given: This fic features several unnamed characters, including the man who wears "office trash" and the weatherman who Scully think they shouldn't talk about.
- Noodle Incident: Scully accuses Mulder of lying about "the boy you got that waterbed from", then adds, "He's not a botanist and he fed his fish this morning."
- Not So Above It All: Scully acts as though she's the voice of reason while Mulder's goofing off, but she does things like write on his face and demand that he "ignore the obvious while simultaneously smoking".
- Script Fic: It's written in the form of a script.
- Third-Person Person: Mulder lapses into third person to say, "What are we but an animal living inside the body of Agent Mulder?".