This is a list of characters for the online podcast A Story of Black and White.
Applicable to All Characters
- Color Motif: Black, White, Grey are the three main colors mentioned throughout the story as well as names or nicknames of the main characters.
- God: All characters thus far as god-like beings as described by the narrator, even the narrator themselves claims to be one despite not liking the title.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: How the narrator explains time working for her as well as the characters Black and White.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: The narrator describes all of them as having no absolute form. The closest we get is each being described as smoke or fog-like and being a single color in appearance.
The Narrator/That Woman Articulating Tales NovaFor the sake of convenience, while the narrator states they have no one gender or biological sex, they do canonically address themselves as a female and use female pronouns. So for this article, the narrator will be referred to as a "She" or "Her"
- Adorkable: Listening to her trying to explain things in a way the listener would understand, listening to her get caught up in an explanation to the point of forgetting what she was talking about previous, or listening to her slip on her words gives her a very Adorkable feel to her character.
- Don't get her started on memes or what they are...
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: The only reason she sounds like and refers to herself as female.
- A God I Am Not: She doesn't seem to like being called a god, such a title seems to give her mouth feel.
— A Story of Black and White, Episode 1 description
- "Personally I hate the title of "god" that you mortals give to beings you feel are higher than you... It's just so weird to me. I don't know why this title exists or why you would refer to beings like myself or like Black and White as gods... It's icky... Like how some mortals find the word "moist" icky..."
- Color Motif: Grey - either as a stand alone color or represented indirectly with use of both black and white.
- God in Human Form: See Shapeshifter Default Form below.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: You can get this impression of her based on how the says some of her dialogue in regards to being a god-like being.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: The third episode's ending implies that she's a lonely person and she truly doesn't want to say goodbye to the audience.
- Little Miss Snarker: Her arguments with the author in episode 3 prove she's capable of being this.
- No Fourth Wall: In the third episode of the series, she and the human creator of the podcast get snarky with one another, with them arguing openly with one another in the middle of the story.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Has an official human 'shell' design drawn by the author, but it is by no means her only form. The 'official' one is just a default to use for simplicity.
- Subliminal Seduction: If you take the audio from each episode and reverse it in an audio editing software, you'll find she leaves very interesting, cryptic or random messages.
- Word of God: It's confirmed during an argument she has with the author in Episode 3 as well as in descriptions that her name is Nova. However, whether that is her true name or a nickname is still uncertain.
Black and White as a pair
- A God Am I: Where they seem to be heading judging by what the narrator says about them in Episode 2.
- Color Motif: Black and white, respecitvely.
- Blessed with Suck: Black is stated to have the ability to create, only by 'editing' what was already in existence. Black can't create anything original, nor can they create what they want 100% of the time.
- Color Motif: Black, obviously.