More entertaining than it should be (manga)
Rito has crush on Haruna, Can Not Spit It Out
, Lala (alien) lands in boy's bathtub, boy acquired Unwanted Harem
, Fan Service
Content: Fan Service
, Fan Service
, and more Fan Service
- To Love Ru obviously not supposed to be deep, and doesn't pretend to be. Despite the lack of innovation, it's still entertaining; the characters, are quirky enough, and interact well. The entire thing is so absurd at points that it's good for a laugh.
- Most of the absurdity seems to come from the aliens (Ren/Run does a Gender Bender when s/he sneezes), and their technology (Lala's inventions, all the stuff that Run orders, etc.) The ridiculousness of everything that happens makes up for the lack of originality in the plot. I can't think of any other series where a beach chapter includes a sentient watermelon with Naughty Tentacles.
- If you are so inclined, the Fan Service can indeed be a good thing.
- Yami and Mikan. Two of the more entertaining characters in the series.
- The art isn't particularly spectacular, but but it's certainly good, and Rito often has really funny facial expressions.
- The serious character moments, while sparse, are genuinely sweet and "awwww" worthy; despite the cookie-cutter plot, the characters still have enough depth to make you care.
Overall: This is the epitome of the Guilty Pleasure
. It's obviously meant solely to be entertaining, not to provoke deep thoughts or carry some sort of message. As far as that goes, it's more or less successful. Even though it doesn't have a lot of substance, it's still good for a laugh and the occasional touching moment.
Good review. I did reject it after watching the anime, but I might take a look now. Im curious, though, is Rito a little less of an ass in the manga then the anime?
20th Aug 09
24th Aug 09
(edited by: JapaneseTeeth)
17th Sep 09
22nd Sep 11
The series baffles me. I guess I will always be entertained by crazy shit happening, no matter what my age.
24th Sep 11
30th Jun 14
In order to post comments, you need to