Needs Help (Titles Crowner 7/6): Shonen Upgrade get usage counts
Deadlock Clock: 24th May 2013 11:59:00 PM
- It's an item, power, or transformation gained by a main character to drastically increase their abilities. Most commonly it's some sort of "special ability" or "new move," like a Super Mode. It sometimes appears as an Eleventh Hour Superpower, a Dangerous Forbidden Technique, or, rarely, I Am Not Left-Handed.
- Decide on a clear, concise definition for this trope that does not overly depend on simply listing a bunch of other tropes.
- Determine if there is is in fact a reason for this to be limited to Japanese Media.
- Decide if we need to rename the trope.
edited 18th Mar '13 1:32:21 AM by RavenWilder
- A challenge or opponent who is advantaged or seemingly undefeatable.
- Training to defeat that opponent.
- Gaining a new power/ability to defeat that person, often coupled with a physical transformation to symbolize a new level of growth.
edited 20th Mar '13 11:10:11 AM by Prime32
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: About the technique. Which is dangerous and forbidden.
- Deadly Upgrade: About the danger of said upgrade. Related and potentially overlapping, but not conflicting.
- Turns Red: A upgrade that happens when the enemy only has a little life left. Seems conflicted whether it only applies to enemies in games or not.
- Super Mode: A temporary change in power and/or abilities.
- Plot-based powers:
- Second Hour Superpower: About a power that appears at the beginning of a story.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: About a power that appears in the middle of a story.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: About a power that appears at the end of a story.
- Shonen Upgrade: The upgrade that causes the hero's transition to a new level of Sorting Algorithm of Evil.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Giving a character new superpowers for the purpose of the plot, with or without justification.
- Power Creep: Later additions to a game overpowers older ones.
- So Last Season: Part of Sorting Algorithm of Evil. Upgrades from last season aren't good enough for the new season.
- Power Creep, Power Seep: A crossover-induced power upgrade and/or downgrade.
- Heroic Second Wind: The hero falls, but raises again with new resolve. No extra power is required, but not excluded.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Looks like My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours Up to Eleven with external help. Subtrope?
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: Training continuously to become stronger in an arms race. Examples seem on occasion confused.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: The character has been holding back, and starts fighting for real.
edited 22nd Mar '13 11:03:03 PM by AnotherDuck
Alternative Titles: Shonen Upgrade
6th Jul '13 1:20:01 AM