edited 20th Feb '13 8:31:10 AM by Arha
edited 20th Feb '13 9:55:26 AM by Arha
edited 23rd Feb '13 9:03:39 AM by Arha
- EDIT: Now I am done with the Live Action Films. Might continue later.
- EDIT: I went through Literature examples. Other media still need attention.
edited 14th Mar '13 5:28:45 PM by XFllo
- The little sister of Evanescence's front singer Amy Lee died when she was three, and the songs "Hello" and "Like You" were written about her.
- Back Street Boys's song "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" is dedicated to Howard "Howie D" Dorough's deceased older sister, who perished a year before the song was released; she's represented by the Lady in Red who, in the video, runs towards him and fades away.
edited 16th Mar '13 7:06:45 PM by XFllo
- In Dragon Age II, depending on how Hawke is played, personality wise, this can be played straight, averted or invoked, both from the beginning what with Bethany or Carver dying in the prologue, and the Deep Roads expedition leading to your other sibling dying, becoming a Grey Warden or joining the Circle/Templars and All That Remains in Act II where your mother dies. Even without taking into account the other things that can occur to Hawke and companions throughout the game, is it any wonder an otherwise helpful and heroic, or wisecracking and jovial Hawke can become an angry cynic over the course of the game.
- Several of Hawke's companions have their own. Aveline has her husband Wesley, whom either she or Hawke kills in the prologue to save him from the darkspawn taint. Anders has Karl, his ex-lover, who was made Tranquil by the Templars. Sebastian has his entire family, who were murdered by hired thugs and eventually his mentor Grand Cleric Elthina, whose murder reawakens his lust for vengeance. Varric has his older brother Bartrand, who betrays him and whom he's forced to kill. Merrill eventually has her mentor, Keeper Marethari, who dies protecting her, as well as potentially her whole clan. Knight-Commander Meredith, the closest thing the game has to a main villain, has a textbook dead sister as part of her backstory - her mage sister was possessed by a demon who killed their parents and wiped out their village, leading her to become the most fanatical Templar yet seen.
- ''Metal Gear Solid 2':
- Not just double, but triple inverted in Metal Gear Solid with Gray Fox. Not only is he the brother of Naomi and older than her, he's also not as dead as everyone had thought. His almost killing by Solid Snake and the experiments made on him by the Patriots are the reason Naomi joins Ocelot and infiltrates FOXHOUND.
edited 16th Mar '13 7:07:27 PM by XFllo
- Inverted by Angel himself. One of the first things he did after being turned into a vampire was return home and murder his little sister. Well, after terrorizing the town a little, but she still trusted her brother Liam enough to let him in. Oddly, despite having clearly been rather close with her, Angel displays no issues one way or the other regarding little girls.
Also, I removed these wicks but I'd like to ask about them.
- In Million Dollar Baby, Frankie Dunn is estranged from his daughter which leads to him first going to church on a regular basis (though he often irritates the minister by asking questions like "was Jesus a demi-god?") and later seeing Maggie Fitzgerald as a surrogate daughter.
- Does this make him a cynic in the sense of having morally dubious methods or becoming a broody loner? I remember the backstory just very vaguely. Perhaps if the example states what caused the estrangement between him and his daughter, it would be OK.
- In both versions of Footloose, Reverend Shaw's son getting killed in a car accident led to him leading a town-wide campaign against dancing and secular music.
- Troper's willthiswork's comment: I think that one is ok. He hates music and will not allow dances because dance is evil or whatever. IDK how to explain it, but I think it counts.
edited 16th Mar '13 7:10:02 PM by XFllo
Alternative Titles: Dead Little Sister
18th Feb '13 6:15:34 AM