The Harry Potter Fanfiction Thread:
edited 26th Jun '12 5:03:22 PM by Sessalisk
edited 29th Jun '12 10:41:34 PM by TamH70
edited 3rd Jul '12 4:27:10 AM by KnownUnknown
edited 3rd Jul '12 8:38:34 AM by Sessalisk
edited 3rd Jul '12 5:33:26 PM by KnownUnknown
edited 7th Jul '12 1:10:07 PM by TheBatPencil
edited 31st Jul '12 5:22:27 PM by PhoenixAct
- A newly elected Minister, an idealist who not only wants to defeat Voldemort, but also reform British magical society. That proves easier said than done because, as a "new man" in wizarding politics and a Muggle-born, he has no connection to the pureblooded old wizarding families. And because of his unwillingness to engage in corruption, it's unlikely he'll ever join such an exclusive club. He got elected purely because he was everyone's second choice. Was formerly an Auror, and his fellow aurors hate him for being essentially the equivalent of Internal Affairs. He is married to a muggle-born witch with three children.
- Barty Crouch Sr., Head of Magical Law Enforcement. A man totally devoted to defeating Voldemort, at any cost. An extreme man, he uses measures many consider to be little different from the Death Eaters. It often takes the combined pressure of the Minister, Dumbledore, and high ranking members of the Wizengamot to prevent him from going through with his more insane schemes, demonstrating his influence and the precariousness of everyone else's position. Comes from very old wizarding blood, but has a very poor family life. His wife is constantly ill and he is distant to his son. Extremely popular because his actions get visible results (whether they are desirable is another story).
- Albus Dumbledore, leader of the Wizengamot, the wizarding court. Has his hands full with a young and brash Minister, the extremist Crouch, the hopelessly corrupt Auror office, the unjust and repressive hanging judges, and overseeing Hogwarts, while also leading the Order of the Phoenix, which has an undeservedly bad reputation with the Ministry.
- Lucius Malfoy: a young, wealthy elite and a member of Ministry's financial office. Having close ties to both the Ministry's treasury and Gringott's, the Auror Office (which he has paid off) is nevertheless investigating him for funneling gold to the Death Eaters. His father Abraxas was one of the other candidates for Minister, but when both Dumbledore and Edgar Bones drop out, a relative unknown is elected by the deadlocked Ministry as a compromise candidate.
- Rufus Scrimgeour and Frank Longbottom, the Old Cop, Young Cop, a pair of Aurors who see most of the action. Scrimgeour thinks Crouch is a hero and supports his draconian measures. Longbottom supports Dumbledore and thinks Crouch is too extreme. Frank also has to hide the fact that he is a member of the Order, since many honest Ministry officials think they are undermining official authority...and the corrupt ones want them dead.
- Voldemort. The Big Bad, of course. Rarely seen. Malfoy is The Heavy. Currently killing Auror after Auror. The bounty on his head numbers in the hundreds of thousands of galleons. The Minister of Magic has set up a special task force of the best aurors in the business to track him down. Scrimgeour, Frank Longbottom, and Mad Eye Moody are part of this force.
edited 15th Aug '12 7:25:00 PM by CrimsonZephyr
edited 15th Aug '12 7:50:20 PM by CrimsonZephyr
edited 20th Aug '12 1:17:24 PM by Pannic
edited 20th Aug '12 1:36:50 PM by Sessalisk