- 1. It discourages new members. You've all seen the creepy stuff in the troper tales archives, and it tends to make outsiders think we're all like that. Thus, a lot of potential members get scared away.
- 2. It's redundant. It looks to me like most of the contributors to Troper Tales just want their voices heard. We already have this forum for that.
- 3. It's misused more frequently than we have time to clean up after. I won't name names, but even with the instalation of our new Troper Tales system, people are still abusing Troper Tales via Square Peg, Round Trope. That's one of things that made the old troper tales so infamous, and I fear it will repeat itself too quickly for anyone to want to clean up after.
edited 13th Aug '11 2:31:58 PM by Haldo
^These are interrobangs. Love them. Learn them. Use them.
edited 9th Aug '11 9:48:24 AM by Rottweiler
edited 9th Aug '11 5:46:30 AM by BobbyG
edited 9th Aug '11 5:45:17 AM by CyganAngel
There are many, many points to be covered here, so instead of posting paragraphs upon paragraphs of why I and others think Troper Tales needs to be gone, I have copied and pasted the arguments of those others. You may consider this a petition of sorts, if you wish to. — For one thing, it's a bugger to moderate. Even being charitable and deleting only the creepy, the psychopathic and the self-aggrandising, there's very little there that can be called a clear, concise and witty demonstration of the trope. —Bobby G — It takes up space on the wiki. Lots of it. —Tropers/Idler20 — It's also not about tropes being used in media. While major events in history have lasting effects on media, your personal life and how tropes apply to it don't. —Ramus — It's redundant as we already have a forum. —Kitsune Inferno — There are the obvious ones: the ridiculous things like not doing your work = Brilliant But Lazy. Of course, our reputation suffers immensely because of it. But my main problem with it is that it attracts all kinds of creeps because it's really a glorified hugbox, where you can pretend your life is some static work that you can be the hero of and easily apply tropes to and not, y'know, a life. Most people that post there are teenagers, and it disturbs me a lot to see they think that life is some game or anime. When they actually have to deal with reality they'll become even more disillusioned and delusional. So my main problem isn't the stupidity, but that it encourages an incredibly delusional life, the kind of life a lot of tropers already lead. —Tropers/gentlemanorcus — For one thing, it's a bugger to moderate. Even being charitable and deleting only the creepy, the psychopathic and the self-aggrandising, there's very little there that can be called a clear, concise and witty demonstration of the trope. —Bobby G — It takes up space on the wiki. Lots of it. —Tropers/Idler20 —
- One: It hasn't showed any sign of improvement after the reformat. There's still questionable material and the ratio of said material in comparison to acceptable material has not been reduced
- Two: It's a relic from its time. Rather than being useful to the wiki's objective, it's just there as a dump. This is the kind of philosophy that makes the wiki less enjoyable as it's basically just hiding the stuff we don't like rather than nuking it to the ground as we should
- Three: We don't have enough moderators to handle this and as such, we should be using the moderation we have to more productive goals.
- Four:It's just bait for self indlulging entries —Juan Carlos
- It sets a bad precedent to shove problems, such as people posting personal examples on the Wiki, off to another area rather than deleting them on sight and discouraging any and all personal examples.
- Moderating the Troper Tales namespace requires a lot of moderation effort best spent elsewhere. —Cygan Angel
edited 7th Aug '11 7:54:11 PM by SpainSun
edited 7th Aug '11 7:51:30 PM by chihuahua0
edited 7th Aug '11 7:54:10 PM by RocketDude
edited 7th Aug '11 7:58:41 PM by Neo_Crimson
Far off, where the pulse of it is not heard.
edited 7th Aug '11 8:00:00 PM by gentlemanorcus
edited 7th Aug '11 8:03:39 PM by BobbyG
Single Proposition: Troper Tales Redux
7th Aug '11 8:35:49 PM