YMMV / Taskmaster
They Changed It, Now It Sucks
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Though only because he's not quite made the transition onto Breakout Character. Tasky is rather popular with fans, and has a large following himself, but he's never been exposed much. Iron Man & Captain America: Heroes United, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Ultimate Spider-Man are his only outside media and he's never had an ongoing, despite positive reception to his various miniseries' and guest appearances. When Secret Avengers was announced as being rebooted for Marvel NOW!, Taskmaster was probably the most well received of the characters listed. To wit, when he appeared as a character players could unlock in a tournament for another character (Rocket Racoon) in Marvel: Avengers Alliance, many of the players competed just to get Taskmaster.
- Memetic Mutation: Taskmaster's short lived Udon-Designed costume, which resembles a heather/sport blue sweatsuit and a hockey mask, is a rather popular design. Considering the number of custom figures and costumes made of it, and the fact that he's often drawn in this outfit, for some who hear about the character before reading him in a comic, it comes as a surprise to know he only wore it for a short while, unfortunately.
- Tear Jerker:
- When he finally remembers his wife Mercedes, but is forced to sacrifice this memory in order to copy a move that his body is biologically incapable of performing, which doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome by itself. The Tear Jerker aspect is doubled as, after he quietly walks off after, Mercedes leaves behind a tape for Steve Rogers to find explaining that she will continue to monitor Tony and act as The Org, as its the only way she can be close to him any more and she knows that he needs her to function.
- Also during that series, when asked why he doesn't become a hero despite the opportunity to do so, Taskmaster explains that while he doesn't remember what it is, he feels a great deal of guilt over something he did once, and believes that whatever it is, its such a horrible Moral Event Horizon that he doesn't deserve to be a hero. What is it that he did? He chose to take the Nazi super soldier formula that granted him his photographic reflexes because he wanted to be the best, and sacrificed being a happy and normal couple with Mercedes because of it. In other words, he made one poor decision, and he hates himself because of it that he punishes himself by playing the villain.
- He wanted to fight Finesse (who is possibly his daughter) in the hope of being able to remember her, as fighting skills are the only things he can remember. Sadly, as she has the same power as him, all her moves are taken from others, so there's nothing unique about her for him to remember.
- He's very worried about Mockingbird while they try to escape from AIM Island and wonders what was done to her while AIM had her, and is noticeably shocked and sad when he is told that she's dead. He's then shot in the head by a Brainwashed and Crazy Mockingbird. Adding to matters, he honestly made a Heel–Face Turn when he joined the Secret Avengers, but his status as a Token Evil Teammate meant that he was the obvious suspect for who The Mole was, and he never got to prove his loyalty and innocence.
: The Unthinkable mini-series changed his character in ways that are not universally popular.