Tropers Online: 4,906
[ Login for more options ]
|These are what we call the 'YMMV items.' Things that some people find in this work. We call them 'your mileage might vary' because not everyone sees these things in the same way. This starts discussions in the trope lists, a thing we don't want. Please use the discussion page if you'd like to discuss any of these items.|
YMMV: Cyrano de Bergerac
- Awesome Ego: Cyrano
- Crazy Awesome: Cyrano. And how!
- Designated Villain: Count de Guiche.
- Jerkass Woobie: Cyrano is a Jerk Ass, but his Mommy Issues and his upbringing make him sympathetic.
- Marty Stu: Actually a subversion. Cyrano IS a Cowardly Lion and has issues confessing to Roxanne.
- Tear Jerker: Let's just say the last scene and have done with it.
- What an Idiot: Cyrano de Bergerac, an Impoverished Patrician Starving Artist, unknown yet talented playwright, is offered the Patronage of Cardinal Richelieu, the most powerful man in all France, and turns it down.
- Woolseyism: Brian Hooker's translation, which finds appropriate equivalent literary references in English for all the French references of the original text. Anthony Burgess was inspired by Hooker to use the same approach.