Wrestling: The World's Greatest Tag Team
Haas and Benjamin The World's Greatest Tag Team
is a professional wrestling tag team consisting of Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas. The duo debuted near the end of 2002 in World Wrestling Entertainment
as part of Kurt Angle
's new faction, Team Angle. After they broke ranks with Angle and started feuding with him, they adopted the "World's Greatest Tag Team" name. Both sharing amateur wrestling backgrounds, the duo proved to be highly successful performers in the ring. More impressively, they debuted during a period where popular tag teams such as Edge
and The Hardy Boyz
were no longer together, so TWGTT helped to fill the void in the tag team scene. Unfortunately, the duo split up in 2004 after Benjamin was traded to the Raw brand. While Benjamin went on to have a relatively successful singles career
, Haas was lost in the shuffle and was briefly released in 2005 before returning to the company the following year. In 2006, the duo re-formed their tag team before they were eventually split up again.
The two were both released from their contracts in 2010. They both found their way to Ring of Honor
and competed there for three years. Benjamin left for New Japan Pro Wrestling
at the very end of 2012; Haas stayed in Ring of Honor until March 2013, when he quit in what so far appears to have been a legitimate shoot, disbanding the team.
As always, The Other Wiki
has more information on their individual careers.
"The World's Greatest Trope List"
- Afro Ass Kicker: Haas as "Charlito"
- Arch-Enemy: As a team they had Kurt Angle in WWE and The Briscoes in Ring Of Honor.
- Badass Boast
- "The best damn tag team period!" But really, their name says it all.
- After Shelton had started picking up wins over Triple H, he cooly told "The Game" that he could call him "Mr. Benjamin."
- Bald of Evil: Shelton, at least until his move to Raw
- Bash Brothers: Each other, plus Rico for Charlie and MVP for Shelton
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Shelton was frankly in disbelief Christian, ECW Champion, would challenge him to a title shot. (it's usually supposed to go the other way). Christian wanted to "steal the show", tired of WWE always overlooking its ECW brand. Shelton agreed the show would be stolen, but that Christian wouldn't be ECW Champion afterwards. he was.
- Black Best Friend: Shelton, to Charlie.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Shelton Benjamin after his face turn in ECW, Charlie Haas during his impersonation gimmick on Raw.
- Breakup Breakout: Subverted. Shelton managed to have the better WWE singles career of the two by far, Haas has had a little more individual success in the wider world of wrestling. The team has more drawing power than either of them separately anyway and they got back together.
- The Bully: To poor ROH rookie Cheeseburger, in fact Charlie Haas is the reason he was called Cheeseburger and Shelton wasn't content to leave him alone even after Charlie was gone. Mike Bennett stood up to Shelton and sent him out of ROH with a loss at Super Card Of Honor VII.
- Call Back: Breaking the three month rule, Charlie's promo as CHL on Raw called back to Shelton's promo as Bradshaw on Smackdown.
- Canon Discontinuity: Regarding Benjamin's relationship with Brock Lesnar. Benjamin and Lesnar formed a tag team called the Minnesota Stretching Crew in OVW, so when Kurt Angle debuted Team Angle, he claimed he'd drafted Benjamin to make it personal. Only, since the casual fans didn't follow OVW, Angle claimed Benjamin was Lesnar's former roommate. After only a couple weeks the roommate thing was dropped, and even later acknowledged the Benjamin/Lesnar tag team.
- Co-Dragons: For Kurt Angle, mainly during his feud with Brock Lesnar. After Brock put Kurt on the shelf they continued to act in his steed but then turned on Kurt when he came back and made less use of them.
- Combination Attack: Atomic drop from Haas, super kick from Benjamin, which was their finisher during their first WWE run. Sometimes it would start with a super kick from Shelton and end with a German suplex from Charlie. Also a leap from guillotine called the Broken Arrow and a double hip toss back breaker called the star spangled banner.
- Cool Shades: Benjamin would occasionally don a pair after his heel turn on Raw, which carried over when the team reunited.
- Cool Versus Awesome: Many first time viewers or long time detractors of Ring Of Honor got tickets just because they heard the Worlds Greatest Tag Team would be taking on The Kings Of Wrestling. This Pay Per View match, being the first Haas and Benjamin had in Ring Of Honor, was just below a main event which featured Tyler Black threatening to leave the promotion with the World Championship.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Benjamin as "the Gold Standard."
- Designated Girl Fight: Invoked during one of their January 2011 EAW match with London, Kendrick and Reby Sky, where Jackie tagged herself in, in embarrassment over Reby knocking over Shelton. Defied by Charlie when Jackie started getting beat up too (but too late, she lost them the match and they wouldn't "get their win back" till July).
- Ditto Fighter: Charlie mimics the styles of other wrestlers and public domain characters. Even Great Khali, despite being two feet shorter!
- Dumb Jock: Shelton Benjamin according to Sheamus. Calling him "One of the most amazing athletes" he had ever seen but then asking "but what's he done with it?" Shelton responded that Sheamus had yet to do anything to impress anybody.
- Expy They had one in Ring Of Honor's The All Night Express, much to their annoyance. The World's Greatest Tag Team had been together longer but The All Night Express were in Ring Of Honor first.
- Face-Heel Turn: At Final Battle 2011, a pre-taped anti-WWE promo by the Briscoes and a pre-match beatdown by Haas and Benjamin turned WGTT from Screwed by WWE to arguably the most hated heels in Ring Of Honor.
- Finishing Move: Individually, Shelton has the T-Bone Suplex and a jumping reverse STO he calls Paydirt, Charlie has the Haas of pain submission and a lifting inverted DDT called the Haastile takeover. Together "The World's Greatest Finisher" (two man power bomb).
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: In real life. Benjamin was the best man to Haas' wedding. Charlie once claimed that his brother may have sent Benjamin to him after his death.
- Hidden Depths: Shelton Benjamin is a championship video game player who is a skilled enough artist for a career in comic books if he ever wants one. According to MVP he is also a penny pincher.
- In a Single Bound: At Wrestle Kingdom VI Shelton not only bounded clear over the top rope but cleared the fan barricade and then did a flip to land on his feet!
- In the Hood: Haas, when the team first reunited.
- Irony: Their ROH theme boasts about how they will smack you down, which is exactly what happened to Charlie Haas via an overhead punch from Claudio Castagnoli when Charlie tried to jump up to the top rope where Castagnoli already was. However, Shelton jumped to high for it to work and still knocked him off.
- Jack of All Stats
- Charlie Haas, with a noted lack of high flying finesse (as part of his gimmick, the man can jump around when he wants to, just not to the extent that Shelton does).
- Shelton does about everything except for not being particular deep in submission holds (he highly excels at the mat, high flying and striking) while Charlie is more so known for submission holds and has a submission finisher. Shelton does sometimes used a grapevine ankle lock as a finishing move though.
- Jerkass: Charlie Haas in ROH.
- Jerk Jock: Both of them as the World's Greatest Tag Team
- Jobber: Charlie Haas became such a jobber that he lost to Takeshi Morishima. Granted, that wouldn't be the mark of a jobber anywhere else but WWE land, but the point stands Morishima wasn't even a developmental guy and would be gone for seemingly for good in another day.
- Large Ham: Charlie Haas is about as charismatic as most wrestlers which automatically qualifies him as one, Shelton not so much but he does tend to have better promos working alongside Charlie than he does on his own.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Benjamin's CMOA was the time he was drafted to Raw and found himself on the bad side of Villain Sue Triple H. Most expected Shelton to become C-List Fodder for the Game. As it turns out, Shelton beats his ass! TWICE!
- Lightning Bruiser: A duo of Lightning Bruisers at that.
- Masked Luchador: Charlie Haas became seemingly invincible on Sunday Night Heat after he donned a luchador's mask, up until he climbed the turnbuckle in a match with Drew McIntyre and got weak around the knees.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor
- Charlie is currently the biggest Jerkass in Ring of Honor, but outside the ring he's devoted to his family and his faith.
- According to fans, Shelton is nice enough so long as you show him respect. Ask please, say thank you, that kind of thing.
- After Charlie quit Ring of Honor, it was claimed that Charlie was a locker room bully who wanted the RoH locker room to have a WWE style clearly defined pecking order. He got in a backstage fight with Grizzly Redwood the night he quit that ended with him punching Grizz, whom he outweighs by about 100 lbs.
- Momma's Boy: Initially, Shelton's mother was shown to be about as nice a parent as you could ask for in the video vintages that played on Raw during Shelton's face turn. But then Shelton's winning streak ended, then his losing streak began, and then he turned on the fans and did all sorts of cocky and totally radical things that failed to get fans to truly turn on him. Rather than give up, the WWE decided to reintroduce Shelton's mother, who seemed to have let herself go and was anything but a kind parent and made Shelton totally incapable of arguing with her.
- Mythology Gag: The maroon & silver singlets they wore until they first split-up were one, as those were the respective colors of the universities they went to.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Haas and Benjamin gave one to the Briscoes at Ring Of Honor Final Battle 2011 but still ended up losing the ROH Tag Team Championships.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: A double politically incorrect hero feud between Charlie Haas and Rico. Charlie was portrayed as seemingly homophobic, but he was not too into Rico valet Jackie either and Rico was harassing him. The two eventually became a tag team.
- Power Stable: Shelton was part of the Nightmares in OVW under Danny Davis and Suzuki-gun in New Japan under Minoru Suzuki.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Haas is a Jive Turkey.
- Red Baron: Shelton is known as "Rodan" in Japan, since he teams with "Black Godzilla" MVP
- Ricky Morton: Shelton's role in the Minnesota Stretching crew was to do the real work, which included the bumps. Brock would then come in for the flashy finish.
- Salt and Pepper: Shelton is more the Smug Snake while Haas, ironically, is the jive turkey. So, when the two impersonated the APA Shelton played Bradshaw and Charlie played Farooq. Also, Shelton would often wear white articles of clothing while Charlie would wear black.
- Slut Shaming: When Dawn was telling everyone she was sleeping with Charlie Haas behind Jackie Gayda's back, Haas asked Dawn why she was such as slut.
- Spirited Competitor: Shelton, after his face turn on WWECW
- Stop Being Stereotypical: The reason the World's Greatest Tag Team came back was to fight Cryme Tyme, who ignored Haas and Benjamin's individual complaints.
- Tag Team: Besides each other, Charlie used to team with his late brother Russ, and has teamed with Rico Constantino and Viscera when Shelton was not available. Shelton was one half of "The Dogg Pound" With Rodney Mack, "The Minnesota Stretching Crew" with Brock Lesnar and "Black Dynamite" (AKA World Greatest Tag) with MVP.
- Tag Team Twins: Charlie and Russ were twins.
- The Rival
- Los Guerreros on Smackdown. London And Kendrick throughout WWE and beyond. La Resistance in The Pro Wrestling Alliance and American Rampage Wrestling, especially while the latter was in France.
- The Kings Of Wrestling, The All Night Express, D-Line and The C&C Wrestle Factory in Ring Of Honor.
- The Worf Effect: What Shelton was largely used for on Raw. He beat Triple H twice and pinned Ric Flair, but then lost a lot. Got to win some, then lost, and so on such as when he passed out in Chris Masters's full nelson or lost the intercontinental championship to a Raw debuting Carlito. On ECW he put over Yoshi Tatsu after being pinned with just one kick. Then he was used to put over Kofi Kingston, to the point people substitute "I hear them shouting" with "I beat Shelton!" but this finally cut out after he was allowed to beat Kofi...until it was time for Sheamus to debut on Raw. Sheamus (whom Shelton was able to handle up until then) called Shelton's whole career a waste and that he was wasting time in WWE and then beat him with no payoff.
- Those Two Guys: On Raw, until Shelton declared the World's Greatest Tag Team was officially coming back
- To Be a Master: Both of them but in different ways. Charlie's dream was to be a tag team champion, Shelton wants to be the world heavyweight champion of whatever promotion he's working for and just sees showing fans what he calls "the last great tag team" as just biding his time till he gets a shot at the highest possible title. Ironically, Charlie Haas has had more heavyweight championships than Shelton.
- Took a Level in Badass: Pay dirt was delivered in a much more violent fashion after Shelton's face turn, as opposed to the way MVP, R-Truth or Shelton himself used to execute the move.
- Tournament Arc: Charlie won the Phoenix Championship Wrestling Russ Haas Memorial Cup with Nova as his partner, substituting for Jamal in the finals against Doug Basham and The Damaja.
- Underwear of Power: Shelton shed his singlet after a few weeks on Raw.
- Unknown Rival: After the 2008 Olympics some tabloid referred to Michael Phelps as the gold standard, Shelton was not pleased.
- Unnecessary Roughness: Charlie Haas temporarily had to find a new partner in ROH after Benjamin was suspended for this.
- Wholesome Cross Dresser: Charlie Haas when wrestling as GlamaHaas
- Worthy Opponent: They said that being Ring Of Honor's tag team champions did not make them the best team in the world but that every tag team before them who held Ring Of Honor's tag team title belts being great made them the best in the world and they thanked every single team in ROH, even the ones who cheated against them.
- Wrestling Family: Charlie Haas' brother was his tag team partner, before his sad death.
- Wrestling Psychology: Charlie showed some great psychology during his impersonation gimmick on Raw, imitating various other wrestlers and common gimmicks. Shelton, for his noted lack of charisma on the mic, could tell you a whole lot just from a look and some raised shoulders while wrestling in the ring.
- Writing Around Trademarks: Known as Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team outside of WWE
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Their attitude toward Kurt Angle when he returned from injury and thought he could still be friendly with them, them being "Team Angle" and all. Neither party thought they needed the other but Haas and Benjamin wanted to put an exclamation on that point, going as far as to team up against Kurt with The Big Show.