was a Japanese Professional Wrestling
promotion founded by Nobuhiko Takada
in 2004. He started it under the banner Dream Stage Entertainment, a corporation dedicated to the Mixed Martial Arts
which owned PRIDE Fighting Championship at the time, but the premise was very different from the MMA or Japanese wrestling of its era. Takada filled HUSTLE with weird storylines
, over-the-top gimmicks and Anime
reminiscences, and worked with renowned wrestling veterans
, freelancers and even tarentos and TV personalities to create a scenic terrain he labelled as "Fighting Opera".
The main plot was Takada attempting to destroy the Professional Wrestling on behalf of the Mixed Martial Arts, leading his villanous Takada Monster Army against the good side represented by Naoya Ogawa and his wrestling allies from the HUSTLE Army. The story had his growths in the MMA-like wrestling company which Takada founded, UWF International, which was later destroyed by the traditional pro wrestling and led to his founder to seek revenge (in kayfabe
, but not too) against them.
At the time, HUSTLE figured as one of the biggest Japanese wrestling companies, standing toe-to-toe with New Japan Pro Wrestling
, but it showed a slow decline which culminated with Takada departing from the promotion in 2009, and HUSTLE closed doors the same years. Despite its fall, HUSTLE had a solid fanbase both out and in Japan, and is fondly remembered by many puroresu fans.
Tropes associated with HUSTLE:
- Action Girl: Karate Girl.
- Afro Asskicker: Shinya Hashimoto sported a massive afro during his fat Elvis gimmick.
- All American Face: Mr. USA (Ryan Wilson), who was a parody of Hulk Hogan's Mr. America.
- All-Star Cast
- Amazon Brigade: The Amazoness Army, led by Yinling.
- Artificial Human: The Esperanza, a wrestling cyborg created by Generalissimo Takada in his image and likeness.
- Ass Kicks You: Hard Gay signature move.
- Big Bad: Generalissimo Takada.
- Big Good: Naoya Ogawa.
- Brainwashed: Many.
- Naoya Ogawa was brainwashed by Takada and repacked as "Monster Celeb" Naoya Ogawa.
- Hard Gay was inadvertently brainwashed by the Dr. Nakamatsu and turned into the sadistic Monster HG, until Real Gay managed to free him.
- TAJIRI was hypnotised by Yinling, but snapped after a time when he was attacked by the also brainwashed ACHICHI.
- Shinjiro Otani was turned into "Fire Monster" ACHICHI.
- Butt Monkey: Wataru Sakata, TAJIRI and Real Gay.
- The Chessmaster: Arguably Generalissimo Takada.
- Cool Old Guy: Shiro Koshinaka.
- The Dragon: Yoji Anjo.
- Emoticon: Banzai Chie's name was written \(^o^)/ Chie. Really.
- Evil Costume Switch: Subverted with HUSTLE Kamen Yellow. When he was brainwashed and turned Monster Kamen Yellow, he only changed his shirt.
- Faceless Goons: The Monster Soldiers.
- Monster C is an individual example.
- Funny Animal: The Monster Army has animal-themed mooks, like tortoises, catfishes and more.
- Fun with Acronyms: New Jersey Powerful Warrior, mocking New Japan Pro Wrestling.
- The Giant: Giant Silva.
- The Hero: Wataru Sakata.
- Hero Killer: The Esperanza. He was so powerful than not even the legendary Great Muta could defeat him.
- Kayfabe: HUSTLE lived it.
- Martial Arts Headband: Shinya Hashimoto.
- Masked Luchador: Loads and loads.
- Mighty Glacier: Giant Silva, Bono-chan, HUSTLE Rikishi and others.
- Mundane Made Awesome
- Parts Unknown: HUSTLE Kamen Rangers, from "HUSTLE Nebula"
- The Power of Friendship: Was used by Real Gay to bring Monster HG back to his true self.
- The Power of Love: Used by Wataru Sakata's wife Eiko Koke to defeat The Esperanza.
- Psycho Rangers: The Monster Kamen Rangers.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: A long story.
- During the PRIDE rise, there were negotiations to stipulate a fight between Nobuhiko Takada and Naoya Ogawa, but Ogawa refused and the bout never had place. Takada retired from MMA and stayed as a Dream Stage Entertainment executive, while Ogawa left the business to work full time in Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE. Shortly after, DSE and ZERO-ONE joined forces and created HUSTLE, whose theme was the feud between Takada and Ogawa, albeit with renovated motivations.
- In 2007, Ogawa turned heel and became "Monster Celeb", with Takada explaining that the judoka had been bribed with Monster Dollars to bring him to his side. This storyline was created to explain Ogawa's departure, as he was leaving HUSTLE for Inoki Genome Federation looking for a bigger pay.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Magnum TOKYO.
- Ring Oldies: Abdullah the Butcher, Tiger Jeet Singh
- Sadist Teacher: Toshiaki Kawada towards his protegee Taichi Ishikari.
- Scary Black Man: Bob Sapp.
- Sinister Shades: Generalissimo Takada wears shades as part of his costume.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Parodied with Small Gama Daio, a very small wrestler that replaced the much larger Gama Daio.
- Tag Team Twins: The Neo Devil Pierroths, real names Shu and Kei Sato.
- Took a Level in Badass: In 2009, Real Gay swore to free Hard Gay from his brainwashing and started to make his best efforts in the ring against the Monster Army mooks to get it. He finally got it.