Western Animation: The Huckleberry Hound Show
No tinkling of glasses or noise during the Huckleberry Hound Show.Huckleberry Hound debuted in 1958 as Hanna-Barbera's second post-MGM original character (Ruff and Reddy were the first) and was the first American all-cartoon show developed specifically for television. Voiced by Daws Butler, the easygoing Huck was shown in a variety of settings, from Arthurian England to modern times.Unlike Hanna-Barbera's other stars, Huck didn't have a regular supporting cast in his shorts, although he did have a handful of recurring antagonists, including Powerful Pierre. But his show did have two supporting segments: Yogi Bear and Pixie & Dixie and Mr. Jinks. When Yogi got his own series, his slot on The Huckleberry Hound Show was taken by Hokey Wolf.
Sign in a San Francisco bar in the late 1950s
This series provides examples of:
- Breakout Character: Yogi Bear.
- Cats Are Mean: Mr. Jinks hates those meeces to pieces.
- Character Signature Song: "Oh My Darling Clementine"
- Expy: Jinks, Pixie and Dixie are basically Tom and Jerry with an extra Jerry.
- Friendly Enemy: An interesting trait that makes Pixie and Dixie a bit distinct from other cat/mouse cartoons - Pixie and Dixie are more often than not somewhat friendly to Jinks, who is generally a Jerk Ass but isn't always exactly menacing. Tom and Jerry was known to do something like this as well, but with far less frequency. This would prove to be a favorite trait for Hanna-Barbera "chase" cartoons in years to come.
- Gag Dub: In Hungary, three Pixie and Dixie shorts got hilarious parody dubs as Narancs, Tetves és Dugó.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: "Oh my darling Clemen-TAAAAYYYNE!"
- Standard Hero Reward: Inverted when Huck was ordered by the King to slay a dragon. The Princess was so ugly that marrying her was punishment for failure. The dragon took pity on Huck and offered him shelter at the cave. Huck accepted.
- Team Rocket Wins: Also in line with Tom and Jerry, there were several points where Jinks came out smiling at the end of a short, either due to some truce with the mice or getting a Laser-Guided Karma victory when they got too vindictive.
- Three Shorts: The first show to do this format, too.