Western Animation: Kenny The Shark
Kenny the Shark
(2003-2005) is an animated series about Katarina "Kat" Cassidy, a girl who adopts a tiger shark as a pet.
- Adorkable: Kat.
- Alpha Bitches: Three of them. All named Phoebe.
- Animal Talk: Kenny, Marty, and other animals.
- Badly Battered Babysitter: Badly battered shark, actually, in "Watching Karl".
- Beatnik: Though not actually one, Grace seems to dress in a similar fashion
- Big Brother Instinct/ Papa Shark: Messing with Kat, especially if Kenny is present, is a bad idea. Case in point: in "Whaling on Kenny" which features Kenny's "friendship" with Buster the orca, Buster had spent the entire episode bullying the frankly terrified Kenny. When Kat shows up and Buster knocks her to the ground, Kenny flips and launches into a speech that's half Not Afraid of You Anymore and half "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Blondes Are Evil: One of the Phoebes.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: When Kat decides to go vegetarian, she asked Kenny to go vegetarian with her, and because Kenny is a carnivore by nature, it is extremely difficult for him.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Kat's parents wear sandals. Though Kat switches between sandals and shoes.
- Everything's Even Worse With Sharks: Subverted. While Kenny does cause a bit of trouble, he usually has good intentions when causing it.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: A variant. In "Whaling on Kenny", Kat has set up a friendship with Buster the orca for Kenny which, unknown to her, has lead Buster bullying Kenny badly; about halfway through the segment, Oscar finds her in the library where she's researching activities for the 2 to do together. After she offers to let him help, Oscar picks up one of her books, pages through it briefly and asks if Kat knew that orcas eat tiger sharks. Kat responds nonchalantly at first but then lets out a Big "WHAT?!" before grabbing the book to confirm the statement. She's...less than happy to find out what she's gotten Kenny into.
- Feud Episode: "Ball of Contention"
- A Girl and Her Shark
- Idiot Ball: Kat in "Whaling on Kenny". Kat had previously (since "Whaling on Kenny" was in Season 2) established as being a near expert on sharks, especially tiger sharks. Why was it a shocking revelation that orcas eat them?
- In another episode, a pet trainer who repeatedly mistreated her students (especially Kenny) brought in a seal as a new pupil. When Kenny (who eats seals) naturally goes berserk, the trainer begins berating Kenny just in time to be caught by Kat who's disturbed by the treatment Kenny's receiving and appalled when she finds out about the seal, calling the trainer out on her stupidity. Fortunately the trainer is willing to listen.
- Limited Social Circle
- Mama Bear: Kat towards Kenny and her mother towards both her children.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Peter
- One Steve Limit: Averted with the three Alpha Bitches named Phoebe.
- Shown Their Work: A lot of shark facts are thrown in the series, and a lot of myths about them are broken as well.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Kat understands Kenny and vice-versa, and so do every other sharks. Its ambiguous that she can understand Marty and other kinds of animals.
- Spoiled Brat: Burton Plushtoy III
- Tailfin Walking: Guess who.
- Uncatty Resemblance: Marty looks like his owner. Or is it vice-versa?