"Together, we're Justin Time!"note Justin Time
is a an edutainment show aimed at the preschool crowd. It was produce by Guru studios. It airs on Disney Junior
in Canada and PBS Kids Sprout
in the US. It is also available in High Definition
in the United States on Saturday morning NBC Kids airings.
The show focuses on a young boy named Justin, his Imaginary Friend
Squidgy and their friend, a girl named Olive. In each episode Justin faces some type of problem or issue. Then Olive will take Justin and Squidgy on an adventure through different cultures, countries and time periods. The adventure somehow leads Justin to the solution to his problem. Then he and Squidgy return home to fix whatever triggered the adventure in the first place.
Justin Time features examples of...
- Ambiguously Brown: Olive may be Asian, or part Asian. It's hard to tell with the animation and it's never elaborated upon.
- Anachronism Stew: The show does occasionally fall into this, in spite of its best efforts.
- Cheerful Child: Justin.
- The Faceless: Justin's parents.
- Averted with Justin's mom, who does appear on screen sometimes. Though when she does, she has a bad case of the Uncanny Valley. Same with Justin's dad.
- Girlish Pigtails: Olive.
- Iconic Outfit: Justin wears shorts in all situations. In the snow he more or less wears an odd male variation of Tights Under Shorts.
- Imaginary Friend: Squidgy. And Olive. It starts to fall into Fridge Horror a little when you realize Justin has no friends that are real...at least that we've seen.
- A bit averted here. Squidgy is usually not seen when Justin's parents are around. To put it that way, this trope actually fits.
- Keet: Squidgy.
- Leitmotif: Each of the three main characters gets a short one in the opening credits.
- Luminescent Blush: In the episode "Marcello's Meatballs," Justin and Squidgy congratulate Olive for making a really tasty spaghetti dish and she visibly blushes, averting her gaze away from Justin. She then smiles at him and he smiles back.
- Magic Skirt: Olive turns this into an art form. The most notable example is when she did this in a hula skirt, despite being dragged across a beach.
- Most Writers Are Adults: Justin is supposed to be 6 and 1/2 years old. And yet, when he goes on adventures with Olive, the two act a good deal older than they're supposed to be.
- Mr. Imagination: Justin.
- Miss Exposition: Olive.
- Pun-Based Title: A direct-to-DVD movie shares the same name, as well as a book in the Amber Brown series by Paula Danziger.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Squidgy.
- About two other cartoon animals—and counting—share this trait. (Both are not on Sprout Channel nor are they affiliated with NBC Kids whatsoever.) And might I add that Squidgy won't talk to any animal but snakes—he hates snakes. See * Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?? * below.
- Title Theme Tune: "Around the world / Together we're Justin Time!"
- Viewers Are Goldfish: Justin certainly seems to be. The lesson of the day is done at least twice in each episode: once at Justin's home and once during the adventure.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes??: Squidgy. Subverted because of his major fear of snakes.
- Youthful Freckles: Olive.