Western Animation: Guess With Jess
Guess with Jess is a British/Canadian educational programme for toddlers featuring Jess from Postman Pat as the central character. Set at Greendale Farm, the series explores Jess' interaction with his friends as they discover the world around them. To date three DVDs have been released: Exploring Winter Wonders, Spring Surprises and Sunny Day Discoveries. These have not been released commercially in the United States, but are available at some libraries. The complete series is also available on Hulu.
This show contains examples of:
- All-CGI Cartoon
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Jess does this regularly.
- Cool Horse / Sapient Steed: Willow
- Cute Kitten: Jess
- Expressive Ears: Jess has them, many of the other characters too. In the Christmas Episode, Mimi's are on full display as they stick up through her Santa Claus hat.
- Fake Interactivity: Used by Jess to quiz the viewers
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: Inverted.
- Furry Confusion: In "What's the Funny Little Creature in the Pond," Jess encounters said funny little creature in Horace's pond, which he names Freddy. It transpires that it's a tadpole, which later grows into a frog. Thing is, Horace is a frog too, a talking frog, but Freddy only ribbits, even after becoming a fully-grown frog.
- In Medias Res: Some stories, such as "What Do We Need To Grow Beans?" open with something having already happened and Jess narrating in the form of a story how a question was answered. For example, in "What Do We Need To Grow Beans?", Jess explains how the group grew a beanstalk as a surprise for Mimi, but first they had to figure out how to do it.
- Precious Puppies: Joey and Jinx
- No Antagonist: The show focuses around Jess and his friends exploring the farm.
- Record Needle Scratch
- In "How Can I Stop Little Bird Eating the Seeds?", Jess's excitement at the idea of being a scarecrow is record needle scratched when he comes to the sudden realization that he'd get tired if he tried to stand around being a scarecrow all day.
- In "How Can We Keep Dry for Horace's Concert?", Jess and his friends get record needle scratched when they think they've figured out how they can keep dry and shout "Yippity yay!" but then realize that water is leaking through the holes in the basket that they're using to cover themselves.
- It happens also in "What Can We Do With Mimi's Garbage?" when Jess gets excited before he's actually solved the problem, twice, and may be something of a regular thing. When he finally solves the problem fully, he actually stops for a second after starting to cheer, apparently worried that he's about to get record-needle-scratched again.
- Short Runner / British Brevity - only lasted 52 episodes split across 2 seasons. There has been no new episode since 2010.
- Sugar Bowl: Greendale Farm is this.
- Suddenly Voiced: Jess.
- Spin-Off: Spun-off from Postman Pat
- Talking Animal: The eight main characters are this. Which comes out a little strange as Jess does not talk in Postman Pat.
- Title Theme Tune: We're gonna Guess, Guess, Guess; Guess With Jess!
- That Reminds Me of a Song: Seldom. For the first 52 episodes, only around 13 episodes have songs in them.