High School USA!
is one the new ADHD (Animation Domination High-Def)note
cartoons added to the Fox network
along with Axe Cop
. The series comes from [adult swim] fixture
and one-time Greendale Community College
student Dino Stamatopoulos.
The series follows a group of super-positive millennial students through school. They confront all the unique challenges of growing up in a modern world. Led by the painfully naÔve and always upbeat Marsh Merriwether, there is nothing these kids canít put a positive spin on, from cyber-bullying to Adderall-addiction to embarrassing sexting incidents.
You can watch it for free at High School USANeeds Wiki Magic Love
- Abusive Parents: Brad's mother.
- Affectionate Parody: Of teenage and high school films as well as the Archie comics.
- Alliterative Name: Marsh Merriweather
- Amicable Exes: Marsh Merriwether's father longs for his ex-wife but has nothing but respect and admiration for her new husband.
- Asian Airhead: CASSANDRA! Type One, full stop.
- Averted in that she's not actually Asian.
- Band Toon: The characters are shown playing in a band as an homage to The Archies.
- Black and Nerdy: Blackstein.
- Played with since despite the nerdy features, he's been shown to be remarkably dumb.
- Brainless Beauty: Due to the animation style that accentuates the "cute" or attractive qualities of most of the females, just about all of them count as this, but Amber deserves special mention. She gives whole new meaning to both Dumb Blonde. Episode 3 justifies it by revealing that her parents have had her taking pills since she was a baby.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The first episode treats the bullies as if they are homosexuals.
- Drama Queen: Cassandra.
- Dubstep: The gang plays in their own rock band, which produces a dubstep sound, inexplicably. They don't even have a keyboard or DJ. Rule of Cool, perhaps.
- Dumb Blonde: Amber.
- Excited Show Title!
- Expy: The five main cast members resemble the main cast of Archie Comics.
- Five-Man Band
- Freudian Excuse: Brad's abusive mother is the reason he's a bully.
- Formerly Fat: Marsh.
- Gag Penis: ...lots, including triangular ones if one episode is to be believed. But Bent—I'm sorry, I mean Brent—takes the cake.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: In-universe. The Gang is very popular in China.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Amber turned out to have a hysterical pregnancy after just making to the clinic with minutes to go in her second trimester.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Cassandra
- Magic Plastic Surgery: Cassandra received Chinese features and skin color thru this.
- Oblivious Adoption: Cassandra had no idea she was Chinese. Well, she technically isn't.
- Parental Abandonment: Marsh's mom and Brad's dad
- Cassandra's biological parents.
- Shout-Out: Cyber Bully speaks and acts in a similar mannerism to Christopher Walken.
- His Internet avatar is a Guy Fawkes mask, suggesting he is Anonymous.
- Spoof Aesop: The first episode has the aesop: "Bullies are an essential part of any society".
- Twofer Token Minority: Blackstein.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Everyone but Marsh falls into this at some point.