Western Animation: Gary And Mike
Gary and Mike
is a 2001 Stop Motion
animated comedy that aired on UPN
, though has also been seen on MTV
, Comedy Central
, and [adult swim]
The story follows Gary, a rather nerdy fellows whose setting out on a roadtrip to follow the "Lewis and Clark trail", an apparent tradition in his family as they're are descendants from Lewis himself. Of course his military-retired father makes very
clear the importance of the trip and what would happen to Gary if the SUV he's giving him is destroyed. Just as Gary starting out of the neighborhood, his friend, Mike, a slacker and a playboy, is trying to avoid the wraith of the father of girl, Officer Dick, he just slept with. Gary picks him up and Mike decides to join in on the trip. However thanks to Mike's actions, the SUV gets stolen and stripped, along with their provisions. To apologize, Mike uses some of his money to buy a crappy but working convertible and decide to blaze their own trail rather then face Gary's father. What follows is oddball misadventures as they duo make their way across the country with no particular destination. All the while being chased by Officer Dick.
Only 13 episodes were made of the series and it ended on a Cliffhanger
Gary and Mike has the following tropes
- Abusive Parents: Gary's father is somewhat stated to be one, his idea of celebrating Gary's 8th birthday was to take him to the a pizza restaurant and re-enact The Deer Hunter
- The Alleged Car: The convertiable the two buy. It's an old rustbucket but surprisingly durable.
- Badass Driver: Mike whose surprisingly good behind the wheel. Case in point,he managed to drive from Settle and Miami within 48 hours both times.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Gary's father, no wonder he's afraid of him.
- Cliffhanger / Left Hanging: The final episode Crisscross ends on this note with the duo framed for murder and cornered by the police, Officer Dick and Gary's father. Having nothing left to lose, the duo drive off an incomplete highway ala Thelma & Louise
- Cult: Mike winds up joining one in the eighth episode.
- Hollywood Nerd: Gary to the tee.
- Jerkass: Damn near everyone Gary and Mike run into who either try to take advantage of them or at worse, try to kill them.
- Mistaken for Gay: Gary's father does this in the final episode when he see Gary and Mike driving along a Gay Pride Parade waving a flag that's sporting his unit. In truth, the flag was meant as a birthday gift and Gary was trying to dry the flag out after Mike spilled some slushie on it. They just wound up on the parade route by accident. Didn't help that Gary had taken off his shirt while trying to dry it out.
- Mushroom Samba: Gary has one in the third episode after eating a brownie spiked with acid. Likewise with Officer Dick.
- Only Sane Man: Gary
- Really Gets Around: Mike
- Road Show: Pretty much the main premise of the series.
- Secret Test of Character: Integral part of the secondary plot in "The Furry Duffel", the second episode.
- Stern Chase: Officer Dick though he always falls short of catching the duo.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The third episode sees Gary getting married to a hippie with three kids after swallowing acid.