Western Animation: Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos
Left to right: Chuck, Kimo, Tabe, Reed, Too Much and Pepper.
"Chuck Norris! Chuck Norris, man of action! Chuck Norris stars in Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos! Chuck Norris! He's got nerves of steel and strength to match..."Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos
From the opening narration (see also Drinking Game
in the YMMV tab)
was an animated 5 episode mini-series that ran in 1986 and produced by Ruby-Spears
. It starred Chuck Norris
as Chuck Norris
, a government agent who works with a team of operatives which consist of Pepper, a female Gadgeteer Genius
; Reed Smith, Chuck's apprentice
and Pepper's brother; a Tagalong Kid
named Too Much; Kimo, a samurai
; and Tabe, a sumo champion and The Big Guy
. They fight the evil forces of VULTURE led by The Claw and Super Ninja.
The series was released on DVD
in April 2011.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: The comic books based on the show depicted Chuck as a blonde.
- The Apprentice: Reed Smith.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: It is an 80's cartoon, after all...
- Artificial Limbs: The Claw's metal pincer.
- Ascended Meme: The "This is an emergency... I'M CHUCK NORRIS." was actually an edited out-of-context bit from a YouTube "Best Of" video. Years later, Warner Bros. would use that exact same edit in their trailer for the DVD...
- As Himself: Yes, Chuck voiced himself in the cartoon. He's also featured in the live action segments.
- Badass Mustache: Several characters have one, Chuck being the most notable.
- Bald of Evil: The Claw.
- Big Bad: The Claw.
- Big Eater: Tabe.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Tabe.
- Captain Ersatz: Too Much is very similar to Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
- Catch Phrase: Too Much's catch phrase is his own name.
- Comic Book Adaptation: By Steve Ditko.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu
- Cool Bike: The Kommandos' Samurai Cycle and the evil Ninjas' Ninja Banzai Cycle.
- Also, "That's my bike!" "This is an emergency... I'M CHUCK NORRIS."
- Cool Car: The Kommandos' Karate Corvette.
- Cool Plane: The Kommandos' helicopter, the—wait for it—Karate Chopper.
- The Dragon: Super Ninja.
- Episode Title Card
- Everybody Laughs Ending
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: "Island of the Walking Dead" has the characters visiting an island ruled by a voodoo doctor and his zombies. Naturally, only Chuck can fight them.
- Evil Albino: A spy working with the Claw in "Terror Train". Chuck defeats him by shining a flashlight in his eyes.
- Expy: Super Ninja for Cobra Commander.
- Five-Man Band
- Gadgeteer Genius: Pepper.
- Heroic Dolphin: Dolphins help to catch Devilfish in "Deadly Dolphin".
- Hero Stole My Bike: "Sorry kids, this is an emergency. I'm Chuck Norris!"
- The Heavy: Super Ninja. While The Claw is the main villain, he's more of a schemer. Thus Super Ninja is present to give both give a more physically dangerous enemy for Chuck to fight and to act as a more fitting Arch-Enemy of sorts.
- Ink-Suit Actor
- Master of Disguise: The assassin who hunts Chuck in "Target: Chuck Norris" is supposed to be one of these—but see Paper-Thin Disguise below.
- McNinja: Super Ninja and the ninja army led by Claw.
- Meaningful Name/Bilingual Bonus: "Tabe" means "to eat" in Japanese.
- Mighty Whitey: Guess who.
- Mook Lieutenant
- Name Drop: The infamous opening makes damn sure you know who the star is.
Chuck Norris is, Chuck Norris in, Chuck Norris
: Karate Kommandos.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: The villain in "Menace from Space" employs alligators alongside his mooks.
- Opening Narration
- Overly Long Gag: In one episode, Too Much gets kidnapped by one of the Claw's henchmen, resulting in a chase scene that goes on for three and a half minutes. They start on a boat, get on jetskis, switch to a car chase (the origin of the "This is an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris" line), and then Chuck jumps off of his stolen motorcycle to board a plane the henchman had hijacked. You'd think it'd be over after this, but ohhhh no. The henchman steals a truck with an attached parachute and drives out of the plane, prompting Chuck to jump after them. Finally, the henchman puts on a personal parachute, grabs the kid, and cuts the truck's parachute, prompting Norris to just grab the henchman, untie Too Much with one hand, and then interrogate the guy. Lampshaded towards the end with the henchman and Chuck saying "I don't believe this guy!" and "Here We Go Again!", respectively. Watch it here.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: A Master of Disguise assassin/Mook Lieutenant Imposter hired by the Claw in "Target - Chuck Norris" sports several of these and Chuck sees through them every time after their first meeting. He doesn't even attempt to conceal his face or distinct accent!
- Porn Stache: Chuck.
- Psycho for Hire: The Claw employs several of them to eliminate Norris. It never goes well.
- The Smurfette Principle: Pepper is the only regular female character, and even she doesn't get much to do.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Tabe probably doesn't even own a shirt.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Claw's forces hijack a space shuttle so they can use one to threaten Earth in "Menace from Space".
- Xtreme Kool Letterz