Western Animation / A Gentleman's Duel
A 2006 CGI short film from Blur Studio about two gentleman
(the Englishman Weatherby and the French Dubois), rivals for the love of a beautiful and wealthy woman, find that the only way to settle their grievances is with a duel. With giant steam-powered robots.
This show provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: Fifi, Dubois' poodle.
- All There in the Script: We never actually hear the names "Dubois" and "Weatherby"— they only insult each other (Weatherby calls Dubois "the Marquis du Manstrumpet" and Dubois calls Weatherby "Sir Dingleberry").
- Animal Gender-Bender: Fifi piddles (and humps shoes) like a male dog. Undoubtedly due to Rule of Funny.
- Badass Mustache: Both men have pretty good mustaches, though Dubois' is especially fancy (and he loses his temper when it's disarrayed by a Glove Slap).
- Bring My Brown Pants: Used as an insult by Dubois.
"Fifi says she can smell the fear (Fifi yaps)— in your pants!"
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Used as an (weak) insult by Weatherby when Dubois offers the lady champagne:
"Oh, of course, alcohol— the French recipe for romance!"
- Cheaters Never Prosper: Both gentlemen bring giant robots to a pistol duel, which ultimately results in neither of them securing the lady's affections.
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: Defied by Dubois:
"Fifi, we shall never surrender!" (launches her at Weatherby)
- Compete for the Maiden's Hand: The duel. However, neither party bothered to ask what the lady's opinion of the matter was, and after they've trashed her front yard and damaged her home she decides to have sex with the butler.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Both men sheepishly run off when they think they've killed the lady.
- Distant Reaction Shot: When the two mechs slam into each other and explode.
- Dog Stereotype: Fifi embraces poodle stereotypes wholeheartedly.
- French Jerk: Dubois, in spades. Though the Englishman can't really make any claim to superior moral fiber here...
- Freudian Slip: Weatherby, Distracted by the Sexy:
"Your grace is only matched by your boobies— I mean your beauty!"
- Gainaxing: All the time from the lady. Note the parody of the Bad Vibrations moment in Jurassic Park.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Before the judo, wrestling, and missile attacks are broken out.
- Groin Attack: Both on the mechs and on Weatherby himself (when his mech breaks he ends up with an electric eel in a very bad place).
- Hair Reboot: After Weatherby's Glove Slap musses his mustache, Dubois somehow wills it back into place.
- Humongous Mecha: As the two gentlemen walk ten paces and begin to face each other, they dash in the opposite directions, jump into giant Steampunk robots, and begin a robot hand-to-robot hand duel.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: The lady's dresses.
- The Jeeves: The lady's butler is very good at protecting her from collateral damage.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: The butler throws a shoe at Fifi for interrupting his vigorous bout of Rescue Sex with the lady.
- Male Gaze: A lot of attention is given to the Lady's ample bosom, including in universe by the butler during the gainaxing moment and both gentlemen prior.
- Marshmallow Hell: For the butler, when the lady panics.