Western Animation / A Gentleman's Duel
A 2006 CGI short film from Blur Studio about two gentleman
(the Englishman Weatherby and the French Dubois), rivals for the love of a beautiful and wealthy woman, find that the only way to settle their grievances is with a duel. With giant steam-powered robots.
This show provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: Fifi, Dubois' poodle.
- All There in the Script: We never actually hear the names "Dubois" and "Weatherby"— they only insult each other (Weatherby calls Dubois "the Marquis du Manstrumpet" and Dubois calls Weatherby "Sir Dingleberry").
- Animal Gender-Bender: Fifi piddles (and humps shoes) like a male dog. Undoubtedly due to Rule of Funny.
- Badass Mustache: Both men have pretty good mustaches, though Dubois' is especially fancy (and he loses his temper when it's disarrayed by a Glove Slap).
- Bring My Brown Pants: Used as an insult by Dubois.
"Fifi says she can smell the fear (Fifi yaps)— in your pants!"
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Used as an (weak) insult by Weatherby when Dubois offers the lady champagne:
"Oh, of course, alcohol— the French recipe for romance!"
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: Defied by Dubois:
"Fifi, we shall never surrender!" (launches her at Weatherby)
- Did Not Get the Girl: Both men sheepishly run off when they think they've killed the lady.
- Distant Reaction Shot: When the two mechs slam into each other and explode.
- Dog Stereotype: Fifi embraces poodle stereotypes wholeheartedly.
- French Jerk: Dubois, in spades.
- Freudian Slip: Weatherby, Distracted by the Sexy:
"Your grace is only matched by your boobies— I mean your beauty!"
- Gainaxing: Used to parody the Bad Vibrations moment in Jurassic Park.
- Glove Slap
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Before the judo, wrestling, and missile attacks are broken out.
- Groin Attack: Both on the mechs and on Weatherby himself (when his mech breaks he ends up with an electric eel in a very bad place).
- Hair Reboot: After Weatherby's Glove Slap musses his mustache, Dubois somehow wills it back into place.
- Humongous Mecha: Duh.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: The lady's dresses.
- The Jeeves: The lady's butler is very good at protecting her from collateral damage.
- Kick the Bitch: The butler throws a shoe at Fifi for interrupting his vigorous bout of Rescue Sex with the lady.
- Knockback Slide
- Male Gaze: A lot of attention is given to the Lady's ample bosom, including in universe by the butler during the gainaxing moment and both gentlemen prior.
- Marshmallow Hell: For the butler, when the lady panics.
- Mid-Battle Tea Break
- Miss Muffykins: Dubois' poodle Fifi.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Rivals: Over the course of the short film the gentlemen manage to sock the lady in the face repeatedly, destroy much of her estate and part of her mansion, and apparently kill her.
- Nice to the Butler: Not these two!
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Both men get pretty ridiculous ones.
- Psycho Electric Eel: Weatherby's mech uses them to power a Shock and Awe attack.
- Pun: As Dubois launches the fist-rocket at Weatherby, he taunts "How about some break-FIST?"
- And Weatherby during his eel attack: "How about some French toast?"
- Rocket Punch: Dubois' mech.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: While most of the comedy violence happens to the two men during the second half of the show the lady suffers some abuse right at the beginning.
- Third-Option Love Interest: As the duelists caused much damage to her property and almost killed her, she chose to have sex with the butler, the only one who cared about her safety.
- This Means War!: Uttered by Dubois.
- Title Drop:
Dubois: So, you wish to meet on the field of honor, monsieur?
Weatherby: Yes, a duel... a gentleman's duel.
- Tom Kenny: Voices Weatherby.
- Troperrific: Look at this list, and consider that the film runs roughly seven minutes.
- Un Evil Laugh: Weatherby.
- Urine Trouble: Fifi adds insult to injury after being fired at Weatherby.
- Volleying Insults: "Knicker nibbler!" "Poodle piddler!" "Monkey spanker!" "Cheese pirate!"
- X-Ray Sparks: When Dubois is hit by Weatherby's eel-powered attack.
- You Can Barely Stand: After their mechs blow, both men crawl towards each other to fight to the end — until they realize they might just have killed the woman they fought over, and then find the strength to run off.
- Your Mother:
Dubois: What would you know of love?
Weatherby: Your mother can answer that, Monsieur le Poopypants!