Webcomic: The Oatmeal
The Oatmeal is an entertainment site full of comics, quizzes, and other delights" by Matthew Inman. The site contains many funny comics and quizzes, and five books: 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth, How to Tell if your Cat is Plotting to Kill You, My Dog: The Paradox, Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants and The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances.
This work contains examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: What to do when your boss starts masturbating at work. Eww…
- Alluring Anglerfish: The story of the bizarre way they reproduce is found here.
- Ascended Meme: "Tumbeasts", the gremlins responsible for Tumblr site errors.
- Black Comedy: How to Name an Abortion Clinic.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: TASTY FIRESTORM!
- Cats Are Mean: The Bobcats will either fire you or plot your murder.
- Cool Car: What It's Like To Own A Tesla.
- Country Matters: Nasty as a swear-word, but it loses potency when reimagined: "When I hear it, I imagine a small, economy car from the mid-80's.".
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Invoked by Matthew, who considers getting his anti-SOPA animation featured on CNN to be this.I'm fairly certain getting koala lovemaking on CNN is the highlight of my career and I wanted to share the moment with you.
- Determinator: The Oatmeal is an Ultra-Marathonnote Runner, which he likens to being a highly caffeinated mountain goat climbing over mountains and eating everything in their path, as opposed to regular Marathon runners, who are more like sleek cheetahs, able to run fast over shorter distances.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil (But Sometimes Unavoidable): I tried to watch Game of Thrones and this is what happened.
- F Minus Minus: ...minus minus minus minus minus minus.
- Foreign Queasine:Asian food in a small town.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: The aforementioned comic about piracy.
- Grammar Nazi: The Oatmeal even makes comics entirely about how to use grammar correctly.
- Nikola Tesla: a tribute is given to the man in this comic, while bitching about Edison.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Inman appears to be very well-read, and a lot of his comics are as informative as they are hilarious. That said, he's not above the occasional Cluster F-Bomb.
- Swallowed a Fly: And he never lived it down.
- Take That: A popular pastime for Mr. Inman when dissecting his many pet peeves. One of the most infamous examples first was this strip, which showcased 14 years of frustration as a web designer. No wonder the man quit to pursue a career in drawing and writing web comics.
- The Internet Is for Porn: Inverted - "The State Of The Web, Summer 2011" mentions that social networking has overtaken porn in web traffic. "You've changed, internet. It's like I don't even know you anymore."
- Third-Person Person: Inman sometimes refers to himself as "The Oatmeal."
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sriracha hot sauce, as noted above.