is a webcomic by Audra Ann "kyubikitsy" Furuichi and Scott "kimonostero" Yoshinaga.Anise Kurobu
and Kana Mezurashi
are two young girls who both desperately want a dog of their own. Too bad both are not allowed to get one. But when Ani finds a store that she thinks has a magic lamp in it, they instead find a pair of talking stuffed pups,
which the Enigmatic Shopkeeper
gives them for free. The Girls and the pups, dubbed Anpan
now celebrate every day that passes.
The comic is very sweet, almost too much so,
but it never gets in your face about it. The comic updates every Monday, Wednsday, and Friday here. New readers are warned, as the strip has been going since 2006.
Needs some Wiki Magic
Nemu-Nemu provides examples of the following tropes:
- Accidental Misnaming: No one seems to be able to get Kitsy's name right.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: The comic occasionally veers off to explore other characters in the comic, such as the Show Within a Show Henshin Rider.
- Art Evolution: Very much. Comparing the original strips with the newer ones is quite a shock.
- Author Avatar: Kitsy. She visits Kana and Anise's school to talk about being a comic artist. She also is Enchilada's owner.
- Beach Episode: Somewhat. Kana and Nemu go on a family vacation to Hawaii.
- Chromatic Arrangement: The Trinity Sisters: Crimson Scarab, Cyan Cicada, and Yellow Jacket.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Everyone has varying degrees of this, but Nemu is the king.
- In-Series Nickname: The pups call their owners Ani-mama and Kana-mama. Also, two side characters of Henshin Rider call Katsuya T-Kat.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Anise's nemesis, Nemesis.
- Secret Identity: T. Katsuya as Henshin Rider.
- There Are No Adults: Actually, there are no parents. While they are mentioned, we never see the Girls parents, except for a brief couple of strips where Ani's mom and dad appear during Toasty's backstory arc.
- Third-Person Person: All of the pups speak like this most, if not all, of the time.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Anpan loves pizza, Nemu, grilled cheese, and Enchilada, Mexican food. Everyone seems to love ice cream and frozen yogurt.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: T. Katsuya's ninja-pirate-something costume, thrown together with help from Kana. Even Anise didn't recognize him.
- The Scrappy: Enchilada.
- Super Sentai: The Show Within a Show, Henshin Rider.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Anise and Kana respectively.
- Yonkoma: The original strips appeared as these before switching to a western format.