Webcomic / The Bare Pit
The Bare Pit
, originally under the name Loxie And Zoot
, by Grace Crowley (also the author of Magellan
) is a comic about the Koala Bay Bares Naturist Resort
in Australia, a resort full of nudists.
But wait, don't be squicked
! The comic is actually fairly wholesome, with a wide variety of characters, body types and plots. The comic also consciously avoids soapboxing
about the issue of nudism, instead usually treating it as part of the setting.
Oh yeah, the comic is very NSFW
due to the nudity, but the story is worth sticking around for.
Contains Examples of:
- Easy Evangelism: There's an obvious and admirable effort to minimize it, but it's still very noticeable. Most noticeable so far in Prudes & Prejudice, when after a single protest a naked man manages to persuade a college dean to... make the campus clothing optional.
- He was actually doing so in an attempt to Squick the rest of the campus into opposing it.
- Foreign Cuss Word: Zoot's mother swears in Dutch when really pissed off.
- Gag Penis: One storyline involves a co-worker of Tina coming to an event with her, and being nervous about the size of his equipment, so he buys a prosthetic. Naturally, Hilarity Ensues.
- Gold Digger: Implied with Sabrina, Zoot's father's fourth wife, though she insists she's not. She leaves him at the end when he decides to leave more money to his grandkids, proving that she is.
- Halloween Episode: Tales to Scare Your Pants Off (Halloween 2008) featured three spooky stories told around a campfire, even though the cartoonist admits that Australians don't celebrate Halloween the way Americans do.
- Happily Married: Loxie and Zoot
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Chook and Jasmine
- Jenny Everywhere: Shows up in this storyline.
- Man Behind the Man: Mandy blackmailed the college dean over his embezzlement and has been aiming to expel Willow from the school. That led to the dean's resignation and arrest. His successor promptly banned all nudity on campus.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Loxie's mother tries to convince her that Zoot is cheating on her with Willow, but Loxie doesn't believe it for a second. In an aborted part of the story arc involved, Loxie does start to worry about how much time Zoot is hanging out with their female friend.
- Multicolored Hair: Famke, Zoot's sister, whose hair is white and pink.
- Naked Apron: Done in an extremely rare nonsexual nonfanservice scene here, as befitting a comic about nudists.
- Naked People Are Funny: Mostly averted; the main humor about the nudity comes when people who aren't usually nudists, such as Kylie the newscaster, end up sans clothes.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Mungo, someone who is hinted to see what happens in the near future and usual acts indifferent with what happens around him, is completely surprised when Tash when with Abúi and Sven and even said Didn't See That Coming.
- Shower Scene: Subverted; since the characters are already nude, being nude and taking a shower doesn't make it anything more than a mundane everyday event within the narrative. There is also a degree of Truth in Television as characters are occasionally shown having a quick outdoor shower before swimming in the pool, a practice required for hygiene reasons at real life nudist camps (and really, any pool in general). Examples - Tash; Daria; Willow
- Pass the Popcorn: Mungo does it in this comic.
- Villain Ball: Mandy, who has gripped it so hard it's cracking. Just because Willow is a nudist and not a "Body Freedom Movement" member, Mandy is doing her best to assault Willow in every way she can. Mandy may be based on the real life Terri Sue Webb, whose "Freedom to Be Yourself" movement was similar to nudism but more militant, with the theory that if they could force people to see that nudity wasn't lewd, they would naturally come around. Didn't work out so well.