From left to right: Todd, Jaymi, Ayshia, NIKA and Kilo.Monster's Garden
is an ongoing webcomic.
Kilo Monster, real name Kilojara
, is a professional fighting champion
and a Zid'ral mutant. Exiled as a child by his tribe
, Kilo was left to fend for himself on the city, and due to his genetic illness, which also grant him resistance to all manner of arcane energy, he has become a force to be reckoned with in the streets. As a champion, Kilo has everything he needs: his garden
, which he cares for every day, a home and peace of mind.
His life is turned around, however, when he happens to meet three particular people: NIKA
, a sentient A.T.L.A.S, or Arcane Technology Lifeform Automated System, who has been separated from her two friends and fellow protagonists: Jaymi Andrews
(an Engineering major who aims to continue her father's, Dr. Joseph Andrews's, research) and her brother, Lt. Todd Andrews
, a huge fan of Kilo's.
Has a Tumblr
, a deviantArt
, and a FurAffinity account.
There is a character sheet
Tropes Associated with the web comic:
- All There in the Manual: Word of God updates readers on the comic's world and characters on her Tumblr. Some details (like Kilo and Todd's relationship) are so emphatic that they cannot be considered spoilers.
- And I Must Scream:
Todd: "If I could stop it, you wouldn't need to tell me to, would you?! Why don't you stop worrying, okay?!"
- Animal Superheroes - Kilo Monster, kind of.
- Badass: The protagonists, to some extent. Especially Kilo Monster.
- Bara Genre/Fanservice: Not in the webcomic itself, but invoked in some of the additional official art for Kilo and Todd. Tends to be a tad mature in nature (plenty of closeness and occasional kissing), but never too explicit for R-rated.
- Beast Man: Has a few, but the ones mostly seen so far are the Zid'ral.
- Berserk Button
- Beware the Nice Ones: Todd.
- Blessed with Suck/Cursed with Awesome: Kilo
- Break Them by Talking: Nigellus talks too much during battle. This leads to:
- Cool Big Sis: Jaymi.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Todd.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Nigellus is irritated that Kilo pities him for giving up on life.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Nigellus.
- Fantastic Racism/Profiling
- Five-Man Band:
- Four Temperament Ensemble:
- NIKA (Sanguine)
- Jaymi (Choleric)
- Kilo (Melancholic)
- Todd (Phlegmatic)
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: On Tumblr.
- The Heart: Kilo or NIKA, depending on who you ask.
- Homoerotic Subtext/Belligerent Sexual Tension: Mutual, between Kilo and Todd. Todd, it is not a good idea to shoot Kilo inside Kilo's own home. Yes, Kilo, we know Todd has a pretty face, and because of Word of God we know how hot you think he is. Kilo breaks Todd's hand, and yet Todd grins, blushes and gossips like a fangirl that he got to meet Kilo.
- Interrupted Intimacy: In a brief one-shot comic panel published on Tumblr (not actually in the comic), the artist drew a humorous scene showing the aftermath of a situation where 7-year-old Ayshia abruptly walks in on Kilo and Todd in their underwear while the two were kissing and becoming intimate.
- Misblamed: After Kilo fights Nigellus and digs himself out of the rubble, the Peacekeepers assume on the spot that he's hostile and start shooting at him...which only provokes him. He is then arrested for assault. The bad publicity causes the fighters' league to immediately strip him of all his championships and suspend him from fighting indefinitely.
- Official Couple: Word of Gay is that Kilo and Todd will eventually become this in-universe, but that it will not be a significant part of the story. The creator has drawn plenty of romantic art of them though.
- Our Elves Are Different: The Rokkchians of Rokk'che, of which Nigellus is a member.
- Petting Zoo People
- Running Gag: Characters keep calling Todd a dumbass. Especially Kilo and Jaymi.
- As of chapter three, Kilo's new prison uniform shows that his prisoner ID is 24601, also alluding to the fact that he was imprisoned after a noble act.
- Token Zid'ral: Kilo, of course.
- Wham Episode: Todd's fight with a fellow train passenger that gives us the first taste of his Heroic BSOD. But that incident is nothing compared to Nigellus's rampage at the university.