Webcomic: Life & Death
Life & Death is a webcomic by Jonathan Oliver about the personifications of Life (Bobby) & Death (Steve). The comic can be found
here hereDespite the mechanics of this wiki, has nothing to do with the Pantheon.The link at the top will now directly you to the comic's SmackJeeves page the new Drunkduck site.
- Art Evolution: At first. It gets better in the first couple hundred strips, but then the improvement in the quality stops. Which is really too bad.
- Badass: Steve's grandfather, Azrael. To quote him, "I killed Cthulhu with a gopher and a damp sponge."
- Batter Up: One of Steve's favourite weapons is a cricket bat.
- Bears Are Bad News / Everything's Better with Plushies: Why else would a valkyrie buy one.
- Big Brother Instinct: He has a fair tolerance for people badmouthing him (with exception to "dress" cracks and related crimes), but one sincerely ill word of his sister and he will be at your fraggin' throat, as seen here. Yikes.
- Box-and-Stick Trap: The Boss guesses that Chaos was able to find Steve in the vast Sands of Time using a six pack of beer and a crate (actually it was twenty six-packs laced with enough drugs to put an elephant to sleep).
- Can't Argue with Elves: Torn to shreds by the Boss in the most deadpan manner possible. (But not to Screw You, Elves! levels)
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: Chaos' shirt is never the same color from panel to panel.
- Characterization Marches On: In comic #313, Steve takes a very blase attitude toward magic. Fast forward a few hundred comics, and you get Steve's fleshed-out backstory, and some very compelling reasons for why he doesn't like using magic.
- The type of magic he's doing in this strip is way less dangerous than the type of magic that he's scared of. As of comic #1092, he's summoning a black hole on the moon, and he's justifiably scared...
- Comedic Sociopathy: Steve takes his job as Death very seriously and a lot of the people he takes die in some pretty weird ways. However, he doesn't usually go out of his way to be a jerk unless his target is stupid, undead, or the Phoenix bird.
- Day In The Life: A lot of strips focus on Sally, who's filling in as Death while Steve is away, going about the normal routine of being a reaper. Both Steve and Sally take a very...active role in making sure the person that's supposed to die does so.
- Fantastic Racism: The elves REALLY don't like the dark elves, Steve and his family included. Almost goes to Does This Remind You of Anything? levels. Have a look for yourself.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Most of the characters have four fingers, except for Chaos who only has three. He is, of course, totally aware of that.(after Fate asks Chaos not to interfere with his recording.)Chaos: ... oh, alright. Forgive me if I don't "pinky swear" it, but I don't seem to have any.
- Gargle Blaster: This comic. And Steve still drinks it. His begging the snowman to do the same on the basis of him not wanting to be the only one in the emergency room is not far-fetched.
- Godly Sidestep: When Death asks which religion is right, God whispers in his ear. Death is surprised, meaning it's something unusual.
- Hurricane of Puns / Incredibly Lame Pun: Bobby and Steve have an ongoing contest based on this, to the point where it's become infectious; Lucy, the personification of Time, has taken to riding a magic carpet (Time Flies).
- Kill It with Fire: Generally not Steve's first choice, but can and will if necessary. Or if it would be funny.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Participated in the Crossover Wars as well as several Halloween Cameo Capers.
- No Mouth: When obscured, even by just shadows, Steve's mouth, not to mention the rest of his face, literally ceases to exist in any physical dimension. However, the spell that facilitates this does so by way of "make it so nobody but me can touch my face" so he can still speak, eat, etc.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, Chaos isn't very trustworthy in the Boss' eyes due to "that time in Thailand."
- Once Killed a Man with a Noodle Implement: Azrael once killed Cthulhu with a gopher and a damp sponge.
- Out of Focus: Bobby. For a comic called Life and Death, the Personification of Life is hardly in it.
- Running Gag: Several. The "wizard hat" and the pink elephants are used fairly frequently (usually together), Steve's inability to catch the phoenix, and Chaos' obsession with the platypus, or the fact that his shirt changes in every panel.
- Stable Time Loop At first it seems there is one with Future Steve. But then it turns out that this is not how things were supposed to turn out, so Fate created the loop and every iteration nudged Steve towards the right decision a bit more. The results can be seen in the comic.
- Some Call Me Tim: Sally's full name is Salyana Elathna'fury
- Steve's brother is N'mosada but everyone calls him Nemo.
- You Keep Using That Word: Mentioned by Steve here, where he's called a wizard quite often by everyone on the goblin pirate ship.
- Your Universe or Mine?: Bobby is dating Brunhilda from The KAMics