Misty: When's it gonna stop?
Ash: When I've caught them all.Pokémon Apokélypse is a fan film parodying the Pokémon franchise and a response to the trend of Darker and Edgier reboots of lighthearted works.Celadon City hasn't been the same since the Gyms closed down. Pokémon fighting has gone underground, and the sport has gotten a taste for blood. Ash, Misty, and Brock have been forced deep into the city's seedy underbelly to keep training, but the Pokémon aren't the only ones in danger. Now, Ash must choose to either become a master in the grim world of illegal Pokémon fighting, or make a desperate stand to free them all from the criminal grip of Rocket Industries.It can be seen here. An earlier draft can be seen here, and a blooper reel is here. It even has an article on That Other Wiki.
This video contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: A Voltorb is used to blow up a car.
- Action Girl: Misty.
- Adaptational Badass: Everyone, especially Team Rocket. Even Misty's Psyduck looks gritty and hardcore by comparison to its animated counterpart.
- Bald of Evil: Giovanni.
- Big Bad: Giovanni appears to be this. Mewtwo may also be in this role.
- Briefcase Full of Money: Giovanni uses this to tempt Ash into taking a fall.
- Co-Dragons: Jessie, James and Meowth, to Giovanni.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Brock is tied up, beaten, and tortured with a Magnemite.
- Dark Action Girl: Jessie.
- Darker and Edgier: Parodied; this is the point of the film.
- Deconstruction Fic: Parodied for the most part, but the is one somewhat straighter example—Team Rocket's status as an organized crime syndicate is made much more serious and realistic here, and to terrifying effect.
- Designated Girl Fight: We get a brief shot of Misty and Jessie getting into a catfight.
- Electric Torture: This is inflicted on Brock with a Magnemite.
- Every Man Has His Price: Team Rocket has basically overrun Kanto society with this trope. But even in this messed up universe, Ash still has standards.
- Hospital Hottie: The Nurse Joy who makes a brief cameo.
- The Mafia: Team Rocket is portrayed as a mix of this and Mega Corp..
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: After Ash walks out on fighting, Team Rocket kills Professor Oak.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Giovanni threatens Ash's loved ones, which is what gets him to throw the fight.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Mewtwo forces an Officer Jenny to put her gun to her own head.
- Psycho Electro: The Rocket torturer tortures Brock with a Magnemite's electricity.
- Race Lift: Parodied, according to Word of God. None of the characters look Asiannote . One that's less likely to be intentional is the brief appearance of a black Nurse Joy.
- Real Trailer, Fake Movie
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Ash stops fighting to protect his Pikachu. Team Rocket is not pleased.
- Skyward Scream: Ash does this when Professor Oak is killed.
- Throwing the Fight: Giovanni makes Ash do this.
- Took a Level in Badass: Team Rocket certainly are portrayed as a more legitimate threat, running the underground battle rings with little care for what happens to the Pokémon injured in the fights. They also resort to murder via machine guns, torture using Magnemite, use a Voltorb to assassinate another character, and even Mewtwo appears to be under Giovanni's control.
- Uncanny Valley: Invoked with the Pokemon. Even ones like Jigglypuff, Meowth, and Pikachu look terrifying.