Started in February 2012, The Idea Channel is a series of weekly videos supported by PBS
and hosted on YouTube
by Mike Rugetta. It examines the weird, wacky and fascinating connections between pop culture, technology and art. Basically, its philosophy is bite-sized form, facilitated by millions of references, gifs, funny pictures and an extreme
Every week introduces a new idea, ranging far and wide in topic and scope. For example, take the following video titles; "What Do Santa And Wrestling Have In Common?", "Is YouTube Making Us Smarter?" and "Is A DOS Attack A Weapon?" Each video also has a short minute or so section where a selection of comments are highlighted for further discussion.
Winner of two Webby awards in 2013, for Best Editing and Best Web Personality/Host. Can be found here
- April Fools' Day: "Is Vine The Future of Cinema?" Well, that and a helping of "Sarcasm Mode: The Episode".
- Alternate Universe: The "100th-ish Episode Special"
- Blue and Orange Morality: Discussed about the Titan's supposed evilness.
- Breathless Non Sequitur
- Bullet Hell: Discussed on how it can be meditative in this video.
- Color-Coded Characters: "The Experience of Being Trolled" has Red Shirted Mike, who talked about the topic of the video as it was originally written and Blue Shirted Mike, added in after the original filming, who realized that he didn't agree with what he wrote.
- Death of the Author: Discussed in regards to Neon Genesis Evangelion in "Does It Matter What Evangelion's Creator Says?".
- Insult Back Fire: After the Unboxing Video someone called him a Vsause wannabe. He took it as a compliment.
- Fandom Rivalry: They once drew the ire of the Anime fandom, so commented on it.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Mike often raises an eyebrow as he reads and responds to comments.
- Milestone Celebration: Played With in the "100th-ish Episode Special"
- More Dakka: Referenced word-for-word in the Bullet Hell video.
- Motor Mouth: Mike.
- Reference Overdosed: Attempting to list every single piece of work this show has made reference to would probably make the wiki explode.
- Shout-Out: To TV Tropes itself during the Bullet Hell video.
: Generally you control a flying ship or warrior dodging an impossible onslaught, hundreds if not thousands of electricity orbs, energy spheres, lasers, bullets, and a crazy colorful assortment of fast-moving whatnot that TV Tropes collectively refers to as "dakka"
, for the sound that a machine gun makes. You know like, dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka—
- So Bad, It's Good: Invoked, as it's an offered explanation for the appeal of Horse eBooks.
- Very Special Episode: The description of "The Experience of Being Trolled", which concerns... yeah, labels this as such. It helps that partway though writing out the episode, Mike realized he didn't agree with what he wrote, leading to the above Color-Coded Characters example.
- To clarify, Mike was originally trying to argue that trolling has an upside.
- Wham Line: A minor one, but "The Experience of Being Trolled" has one in the intro that takes what originally seemed like a regular episode and made it a tad more complicated:
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Political?: Discussed their examination of Enderís Game.