“Hey everybody, and welcome to another episode of 'Continue?'. My name is Paul."
”This game is giving me crohn's disease.”
— Paul, Pictionary (NES)
is a weekly web show associated with Normal Boots
and The Quarter Bin
. Based in Philadelphia, it began on December 14th, 2009 hosted by Paul Ritchey, Nick Murphy, and Dom Moschitti (who, upon moving to California, was replaced by Josh Henderson on May 18th, 2011). Every Wednesday, the guys play a retro video game, usually from PlayStation
era or older, for anywhere from ten to twenty minutes and riff MST3K
-style over the gameplay. At the end of the show, they discuss their individual impressions and experiences with the game(s) and whether or not they would 'Continue'
playing after the camera turns off or 'Game Over'
and stop where they did during the show.
The show runs largely on donated games sent in by fans, so much so that any titles sent in now may take a year or more to appear on the show, according to Nick Murphy.
- As Himself: Whenever the cast of Continue..? is doing a skit they're still themselves except mostly apathetic and loserish.
- Big "NO!": Paul has a loooong one in Forsaken 64, here.
- Big Word Shout: A lot.
- Bizarro Universe: Invoked during the Super Mario Bros 3 video.
- Brief Accent Imitation: There's an Italian version of this in the Nickelodeon GUTS (SNES) episode.
Paul: "'Ey, babydoll! Let me see your pussyche!"
- Buffy Speak: Often pointed out with overlaid text.
- Butt Monkey: This is Josh more often than not, but everyone has had their moments.
- Badass Beard: Nick and Josh. Dom also from time to time if he's not sporting a Badass Mustache.
- Catch Phrase:
Nick: "Whoa! I didn't ask for that!"
Nick: "Are you butt fuckin' kiddin' me?"
Paul: "I know that's right."
- Clip Show: The second half of Barkley's Shut Up and Jam (GEN) seeing how this was Dom's final apperance as a regular.
- Christmas Episode: Also known as "Watch scrambled porn all day because you have nothing to do all day day"
- Commuting on a Bus: Dom comes back every now and then.
- Covers Always Lie: One day, Nick was at a flea market and found what he thought was Gauntlet that was written on a beat-up, blank NES cart with a black Sharpie for two dollars. When it came time to play the game on the show, it turned out to be a Captain Planet game. Hilarity ensued
- Epileptic Flashing Lights: The first five seconds of the intro (and thus, the first five seconds most people will see) is the infamous seizure-inducing death sequence from Zelda II.
- La Italian A: Paul's mother writes her letters this way. Because she's from Italy
- Even the Guys Want Him: The hero LACE of Dragon Spirit has this effect on Paul.
: "Man, I'd bang that guy, and I'm not even gay! That's awesome! [beat
] Well, now I am."
- "Gift of the Magi" Plot: Invoked by Paul in a Christmas episode, subverted when Nick and Josh are just being uncaring dicks about it. They end up calling Dom and walk into a random Santa who then fix everything while they go back to watching scrambled porn.
- Imagine Spot: Happens sometimes, Most Triumphant Example is the Aladdin episode.
- Mundane Made Awesome: YOU'RE READING THIS PAGE
- No Indoor Voice: You can usually tell something exciting is happening when everyone starts yelling.
- Playing Pictionary: The NES Version.
- Pretty Boy: Paul; also Dom when he didn't sport any facial hair.
- Podcast: Continue Cast, which they describe as "A book club for games"
- Power Trio: First Dom, Paul and Nick, later replaced by Paul, Nick and Josh.
- Put on a Bus: Dom when he moved to LA.
- Running Gag: Backflips during The Crow: City of Angels, the female mage's love of fellatio in Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun, whispering, "Nightshade..." in a mysterious fashion, and many others.
- Screw Yourself: When the three imagine their fondest wishes to come true Josh imagines himself saying to him he has to be on a YouTube show called Continue. And then make out.
- Fourth Ranger: Dom whenever he shows up for a special occasion. Luke in the podcasts.
- Small Reference Pools:
Nick as that guy: "Hey, it's me... That guy."
Nick: "..yeah. Him."
- Space X: Done to death in the Metal Warriors ep.
- Special Guest: A drunken marathon with Jon Jafari.
- Dom came back a few times as well.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Subverted when they brought in Josh. Paul took over Dom's spot in centre couch and as "The leader" of the group, Josh seems more subdued and deadpan.
- Take Up My Sword: Nick imagines that Frank Black wants him to play in his stead because "He knows all the songs better than everybody. Including him. Frank Black."
- Trash the Set: After completing the Nintendo Hard Hoverbike level with Nick in the Battletoads episode, Paul lifts the controller up in victory, causing the console to fall off an elevated platform off-screen and shutting it off.
- Three Gamers On A Couch
- The Unseen: Nick's wife.
- Valentine's Day Episodes