Do You Have It?"
"It takes a certain kind of something to keep the heart pumping, something everybody needs to succeed, you need a lot,
Do You Have It?"
"Do, Do, Do, Do You Have It? GUTS!"
The opening lines to the Nickelodeon GUTS theme
Game Show Tropes in Use:
- Bonus Round: The Aggro Crag. Later remodeled as the Mega Crag in the third season of GUTS, then turned into the Super Aggro Crag in Global GUTS.
- Consolation Prize: Silver and Bronze medals.
- Golden Snitch: The Aggro Crag, later evolved into the Mega Crag and the Super Aggro Crag.
- Game Show Host: Mike O'Malley (Nickelodeon GUTS/Global GUTS), Ben Lyons (My Family's Got GUTS).
- Lovely Assistant: Moira "Mo" Quirk (Nickelodeon GUTS/Global GUTS), then Asha Kuerten (My Family's Got GUTS). Both were also co-hosts, as they explained the rules and saw the contestants' performances.
- Studio Audience
This show provides examples of:
- Carried by the Host: While Asha was praised by some fans for equaling her referee predecessor, many fans felt that GUTS wasn't the same without Mike and Moira.
- Catch Phrase: Quite a few, but special mention goes to Mike's "Let's go to Mo!" and "Do you have it?". Not to mention Moira's "On your mark, get set... (blows whistle)".
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first taped episode, which has different fonts for the on-screen displays and a different "Extreme Arena" sign over the scoreboard (both lasted at least one more taping). The rules explanations are slightly different, and Mike refers to Moira by her full first name throughout the show. Notably, the Crag's actuator lights look like rocks themselves when turned off and light up in that player's color, instead of using the familiar orange ones used for the rest of the run, and shots of the "normal" Crag are superimposed over a couple of spots in the episode.
- Excited Kids' Show Host: Mike O'Malley, Type 1.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Hell" was used once. Sure, it was a reference to Meat Loaf's album, "Bat Out of Hell", but still.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Mike towers over the 5-foot Moira.
- Large Ham: Mike O'Malley, to the point where Moira would say "Steady, Mike" or some other variation.
- Limited Wardrobe: Mike and Moira lampshaded this in the Behind The Scenes special, while discussing what to wear for the day.
- The Nicknamer: Many contestants go by nicknames given by the show. Moira also obtained a nickname, "Mo". However, the latter stuck.
- No Indoor Voice: Mike O'Malley, to the point where Moira would say "Steady, Mike" or some other variation.
- Obvious Rule Patch: When Boulder Canyon (no, not that one) was introduced to the Crag, contestants had to climb the largest boulder to start their ascent. However, some players zig-zagged though the rest of the obstacle, sometimes not touching all the boulders. Global GUTS required contestants to jump on every boulder or get hit with an automatic third place finish (on one episode, two contestants were penalized as such and got automatic thirds; this was also a case of Disqualification-Induced Victory, as one of the disqualified players was tied for the lead with the third player, who won the event - and gold - despite reaching the top last).
- Red Baron: The show gave one to each contestant.
- The Runner Up Takes It All: A.J. McLean, Mike Vogel, even Ashley Drane... they won silver medals, and yet they went on to do bigger things. See the Hey, It's That Guy! section for the former two.
- Voiceover Translation: Used for non-English editions of Spill Your Guts.