Web Animation / Morty Kombat
is a series made by Lowbrow Studios
, known for Sonic for Hire
and Mega Man Dies At The End
. The series premiered on May 12, 2013 on Machinima's Happy Hour Channel. The series is about Morty, an accountant who accidentally stumbles upon the Mortal Kombat
Universe after pressing the "Outworld" Button on a microwave. Immediately upon entry, he is enlisted by Shang Tsung to become a kombatant. Goro brutally beats Morty
, and Morty is being guided by Raiden, who says in order to get back to his world, he has to be the Mortal Kombat
champion. Episodes were uploaded on Sunday but as of June 1, they are uploaded on Saturdays now.
Due to budget cuts, the series is on an indefinite hiatus until further notice.
This series provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Morty's one-liners eventually grow on Scorpion.
- Affably Evil: Shao Kahn, he's one of the nicest guys on the show. He also admits that he's one of the most evil men in the MK universe.
- Artificial Limbs: Jax has these. Too bad they spasm a lot.
- The Alcoholic: Sonya Blade has a really bad drinking problem ...
- Raiden and Jax drink in some pretty heavy amounts, too.
- Ascended Extra: Goro and Shang Tsung were really minor characters in earlier episodes...
- Behind the Black: The only reason Morty can't see Shao Khan's Clarkson Microwave is because it's slightly off screen, even though its on a stand in the middle of the room he talks to Shao in and he's staring right at it.
- Big Bad: At first, it didn't seem like there was one, then it was Shang Tsung, then after Morty's Heel–Face Turn, Shao Kahn became this.
- Butter Face: Mileena, as per the norm.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Morty passes out after two and a half beers.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Morty is on the receiving end of these ... at the beginning though.
- He has been doing better though.
- Defeat Means Friendship: When Sub-Zero kills Morty, the ways Morty's friends treat him causes him to turn.
- Death Is Cheap: Everyone gets killed and just respawns later.
- Delayed Causality: Parodied, Scorpion talks about how more annoying then deadly Morty's fatality was before he ends up being sliced in half, by a paper cut.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Morty's first victory was while he was drunk...
- Against Sektor, no less.
- And against Shang Tsung as well ...
- Drunken Master: Morty's first victory was while he was drunk, caused by Sonya Blade.
- Evil Feels Good: Shang Tsung thinks so, especially with the constant Evil Laughing you get to do.
- Morty is absolutely ecstatic the first time he manages to kill someone.
- Extreme Omnisexual: If Shao Khan's currency is anything to go by.
- Face–Heel Turn: Shao Khan offers one, but Morty refuses... until he saw how dickish his so-called friends were. He doesn't stay evil though.
- Finishing Move: There are custom fatalities in this series.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: For the most part, everyone in the MK universe are total bros, except Sub-Zero and Scorpion, but they are pretty nice to Morty once he's "evil" if "penisballs" means anything. However, even being evil isn't too bad, but disobeying orders from either Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn averts this trope.
- Subverted when Shao Khan wants to watch Police Academy with Morty, Raiden, and Jax, but retracts his offer because it would be awkward.
- Going Through the Motions: All walking animations are recycled from the games, causing character to hold thier arms at odd positions while walking. Lampshaded by Morty in the second episode.
- Morty's walking animation himself is actually from his voice actor.
- Moving the Goalposts: At first, Morty must defeat Shao Khan, which he can only do by winning his way to the top. But looks like some new fighters have entered the tournament!
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Morty gets sliced in half by Kung Lao in the second episode at the waist.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Morty is this. He joins with Shao Kahn at first because he feels like Raiden and Jax are jerks to him, but once he's forced to fight Sonya Blade and sees how boring it is being evil, he decides to join back the good side.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: The Mortal Kombat announcer.
- Insult of Endearment: Apparently badasses call each other "penisballs".
- Jerkass: A lot of characters in the series. What provokes Morty to join Shao Kahn is how Morty's so-called friends (Jax and Raiden) leave him lying on the ground frozen after his defeat from Sub-Zero.
- Shao Kahn turns out to be an extreme one after Morty laments being evil.
- Klingon Promotion: After Morty kills Shang Tsung, Shao Khan makes him take his place.
- No Sympathy: When Morty thinks he's finally going to die and be free of Mortal Kombat:
Raiden: Oh, you're not gonna die. When you wake up, you'll be right back here, ready to fight again.
Morty: Fuck me!
Raiden: Yup, fuck you.
- Resurrective Immortality: As Raiden explains, when someone dies, they just become unconscious and then wake up as if nothing happened.
- Shout-Out: A couple.
- Baraka attempts to threaten Morty by sleeping his body like a Tauntaun.
- Shang Tsung tries to kill Morty by taking the form of a Rancor. Sub-Zero throws out several confused references before admitting he's never seen the movie.
- Morty also called Sonya Blade "Soniqua".
- Lady Drunk: Sonya Blade
- Literally Shattered Lives: Morty is frozen, and is shattered in half.
- Made of Plasticine: Double Subverted, Morty gives Scorpion a paper cut as a fatality. It was as effective as one would think, at first.
- Paper Master: Morty's "powers" turn out to summon and use anything related to offices, which includes very deadly paper cuts, trapping them in cubicles, and whacking people with flying office chairs
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Sub Zero puts a mustache on Morty (When his face is a skull) so Sonya Blade doesn't see. It works surprisingly.
- Took a Level in Badass: Morty has to if he wants to leave. Starting to look that way too.
- Unexplained Recovery: Subverted and lampshaded in this series big time. After fatalities and dying, you just become unconscious and then wake up.
- Urine Trouble: Scorpion pissed all over Sub-Zero in a Funny Background Event
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sub-Zero and Scorpion regularly insult and injure each other, but they're always shown hanging out.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Morty does it when he sees something gross, or he's drunk.
- With Catlike Tread:
Shao Khan: We can't have Morty find out about my Clarkson Microwave... Time to heat up my lunch on the ol' Clarkson. I love using my Clarkson Microwave. The Clarkson Microwave is the best microwave, it heats up my souls and tacos so good. Clarkson Microwave, did I mention it's a Clarkson, mmmhmmmhmmmhmm. I should probably put this thing in a better hiding spot.
- With Friends Like These...: Mortys' friends take him for granted enough that he joins the evil side.
- You Wouldn't Hit a Guy with Glasses?: Morty tries this. It doesn't work against Scorpion.