Web Animation: Cow of the Wild
Cow of the Wild is an animated Web series by youtube user Tribbleofdoom. It is about a young barn cow named Milly, who escapes the confines of her fence and joins a pack of wolves.As we follow her journey, we also run across an evil wolf dictator who enjoys beheading other wolves, a possibly homicidal pack leader and his interesting pack, and an annoying bird who fell out of his nest. You can find all of the episodes, along with Tribbleofdoom’s Warrior Cats fan series, over here.
’’Cow of the Wild’’ contains the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Mink, if episode 20 is any indication.
- Aerith and Bob: The show has this in general.
- The three prince brothers count as this: Balder, Kahleel and... Apollo.
- You have names like Alari and Terok alongside Fang and Midnight.
- Art Evolution: Compare the first episode to the twentieth one. Same drawing program, but the difference is two years and a lot of practice.
- Artistic License – Biology: Rune’s signature scar is apparently the result of Balder ripping out his pupil. Which is a hole in the iris. Think about that for a second.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: The fans see this in Torrie and Sammy.
- Born Into Slavery: It’s implied that Kia, Rune’s Per’Sherra (personal slave), was born into her role.
- Cub Cues Protective Parent: Alari plays with a mountain lion cub she came across in the snow. His mother appears and slams her into a rock.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sammy and Torrie are both fighting for this position. It’s secretly the real reason why they hate each other.
- Defecting for Love: Mink leaves the Feather Ferals to be mates with their worst enemy, Baulder, son of Vadar.
- Dress-Coded for Your Convenience: Feather Ferals wear the feathers of their Brothers In Flight on different parts of their body according to rank: the Alpha’s family attach them to the tail, Par’Sherras to their face, and everyone else on their chest.
- Dysfunction Junction: The Pack of Night, oh dear god the Pack of Night. You’ve got a possibly homicidal leader, a beta with anger issues, an omega who’s possible the most down-to-earth character in the entire series, her lying, flirtateous sister, and a tracker who was found in lying in blood and who turns out to be the son of the murdered wolf prince Balder. And that’s just the main cast.
- Face-Heel Turn: Fang is the alpha of the Pack of Night, and a pretty nice guy. After Flutter’s death and Alari’s disappearance he turns antagonistic if not outright evil.
- Faux Affably Evil: Rune. Oh, great Creator, Rune. Only he could look so happy while beheading pups.
- Flashback: As of episode 20 part one, we have had at least half a dozen flashbacks, with at least one more on the way.
- After Yin-Yang finishes her story about the Kingdom of the West, Lupis is briefly shown crying. Makes sense, considering that she was recanting the murder of his entire family.
- In a yet-to-be-fulfilled one, in Episode 17, Yin-Yang is briefly seen with a mate and pup. Word of Tribbs says that they come up again later.
- In a much earlier example, in the description for Episode 4, Tribbs mentions that there are three hints that Alari is alive. The three hints are: Two gunshots are heard, and Flutter’s body has two bullet holes, signifying that Alari was not shot; there are bloody footprints leading away from Flutter’s body; and, during Bone’s scene, you can barely see a pair of sad-looking eyes watching from the trees, where Alari’s watching.
- Handicapped Badass: Sammy, full stop, end of story.
- Heel-Face Turn: Mink, originally a Feather Feral and sworn enemy of Kingdom wolves, ultimately leaves the violent Feather Ferals and takes Baulder as her mate.
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- Erol does this for Lupis.
- Flutter does this for Alari.
- It's All My Fault: Alari takes this stance with her mother’s death. Justified in that it sort of is her fault.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Torrie; he's heavy on the "jerk" part, particularly in his first few appearances, but his later interactions with Vimy and Sammy prove that deep down, he's a lot softer and more sympathetic.
- Luke, I Might Be Your Father: Rune to Lupis in Episode 24.
- Mama Bear: Safira.
- Mood Whiplash: Angst, angst, angst ROCKY SINGING. you want some ice for that whiplash?
- Oblivious to Love: Lupis. Oh, Lupis, you poor innocent boy, you.
- One of Us: Tribbleofdoom is this in spades, enjoying Star Trek, bad comedies, and Bioware RPGs. Also, she has excellent taste in music.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Cheerful, optimistic Luna is the red oni to Lupis's quiet, introverted blue oni.
- Scars Are Forever: The wolves are pretty violent in this series, and it shows: Rune has part of his left eye torn out in his fight with Balder; Fang and Saber both come off very badly after their offscreen fight, each having numerous scars still present after the Time Skip.
- Taking the Bullet: Early on in the series, Flutter jumps between Alari and a farmer's gun and takes the bullet.
- The Reveal:
- Alari’s survival, Lupis’s parentage.
- A subtler one in Episode 20 part 1. Balder mentions his “Aunt Yin-Yang.” Yes, Aunt Yin-Yang. you read that right.
- The Stinger: most episodes, to varying degrees of importance and hilarity.
- Trope Overdosed: One of the more trope-heavy animations on the Internet.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Lupis and Rune have these.
- The Other Darrin: The cast tends to change at times, with Luna having some of the most voice actors.
- Wham Episode: Let’s face it, Episode 16 on is just one long list of WHAM after WHAM after WHAM.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Episodes 17 and 20, for Lupis and Rune, respectively.
- Wham Line: ”Great Creator... I remember you now! You’re a son of Balder!” Your jaw is now free to drop.
Fang: If it could get out, it only makes sense that we could get in!
- On a slightly lower tier of whammishness, there's the moment in Episode 23 where Fang finally reveals his plan:
Luna: Alari? Dad?
- And at the very end of episode 23, part two, is a lighter wham line (most people knew this already due to Word of God) when Luna runs into Saber and Alari:
Lupis: I'm the last son of Balder! Congratulations! You found me!Rune: Are you now?Lupis: What?Rune: Or are you the first son of Rune?
- A massive wham line in Episode 24: