Web Animation / Cow of the Wild
Cow of the Wild
is an animated Web series by youtube user Tribbleofdoom. It is about a young barn cow named Milly, who escapes the confines of her fence and joins a pack of wolves.
As we follow her journey, we also run across an evil wolf dictator who enjoys beheading other wolves
, a possibly homicidal pack leader and his interesting pack
, and an annoying bird who fell out of his nest
. You can find all of the episodes, along with Tribbleofdoom’s Warrior Cats
fan series, over here
The series protagonist, Milly.
’’Cow of the Wild’’ contains the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Mink, if episode 20 is any indication.
- Aerith and Bob: The show has this in general.
- The three prince brothers count as this: Balder, Kahleel and... Apollo.
- You have names like Alari and Terok alongside Fang and Midnight.
- Art Evolution: Compare the first episode to the twentieth one. Same drawing program, but the difference is two years and a lot of practice.
- Artistic License – Biology: Rune’s signature scar is apparently the result of Balder ripping out his pupil. Which is a hole in the iris. Think about that for a second.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: The fans see this in Torrie and Sammy.
- Born Into Slavery: It’s implied that Kia, Rune’s Per’Sherra (personal slave), was born into her role.
- Cub Cues Protective Parent: Alari plays with a mountain lion cub she came across in the snow. His mother appears and slams her into a rock.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sammy and Torrie are both fighting for this position. It’s secretly the real reason why they hate each other.
- Defecting for Love: Mink leaves the Feather Ferals to be mates with their worst enemy, Baulder, son of Vadar.
- Dress-Coded for Your Convenience: Feather Ferals wear the feathers of their Brothers In Flight on different parts of their body according to rank: the Alpha’s family attach them to the tail, Par’Sherras to their face, and everyone else on their chest.
- Dysfunction Junction: The Pack of Night, oh dear god the Pack of Night. You’ve got a possibly homicidal leader, a beta with anger issues, an omega who’s possible the most down-to-earth character in the entire series, her lying, flirtateous sister, and a tracker who was found in lying in blood and who turns out to be the son of the murdered wolf prince Balder. And that’s just the main cast.
- Face–Heel Turn: Fang is the alpha of the Pack of Night, and a pretty nice guy. After Flutter’s death and Alari’s disappearance he turns antagonistic if not outright evil.
- Faux Affably Evil: Rune. Oh, great Creator, Rune. Only he could look so happy while beheading pups.
- Flashback: As of episode 20 part one, we have had at least half a dozen flashbacks, with at least one more on the way.
- After Yin-Yang finishes her story about the Kingdom of the West, Lupis is briefly shown crying. Makes sense, considering that she was recanting the murder of his entire family.
- In a yet-to-be-fulfilled one, in Episode 17, Yin-Yang is briefly seen with a mate and pup. Word of Tribbs says that they come up again later.
- In a much earlier example, in the description for Episode 4, Tribbs mentions that there are three hints that Alari is alive. The three hints are: Two gunshots are heard, and Flutter’s body has two bullet holes, signifying that Alari was not shot; there are bloody footprints leading away from Flutter’s body; and, during Bone’s scene, you can barely see a pair of sad-looking eyes watching from the trees, where Alari’s watching.
- Handicapped Badass: Sammy, full stop, end of story.
- Heel–Face Turn: Mink, originally a Feather Feral and sworn enemy of Kingdom wolves, ultimately leaves the violent Feather Ferals and takes Baulder as her mate.
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- Erol does this for Lupis.
- Flutter does this for Alari.
- It's All My Fault: Alari takes this stance with her mother’s death. Justified in that it sort of is her fault.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Torrie; he's heavy on the "jerk" part, particularly in his first few appearances, but his later interactions with Vimy and Sammy prove that deep down, he's a lot softer and more sympathetic.
- Luke, I Might Be Your Father: Rune to Lupis in Episode 24.
- Mama Bear: Safira.
- Mood Whiplash: Angst, angst, angst ROCKY SINGING. you want some ice for that whiplash?
- Oblivious to Love: Lupis. Oh, Lupis, you poor innocent boy, you.
- One of Us: Tribbleofdoom is this in spades, enjoying Star Trek, bad comedies, and Bioware RPGs. Also, she has excellent taste in music.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Cheerful, optimistic Luna is the red oni to Lupis's quiet, introverted blue oni.
- Scars Are Forever: The wolves are pretty violent in this series, and it shows: Rune has part of his left eye torn out in his fight with Balder; Fang and Saber both come off very badly after their offscreen fight, each having numerous scars still present after the Time Skip.
- Taking the Bullet: Early on in the series, Flutter jumps between Alari and a farmer's gun and takes the bullet.
- The Reveal:
- Alari’s survival, Lupis’s parentage.
- A subtler one in Episode 20 part 1. Balder mentions his “Aunt Yin-Yang.” Yes, Aunt Yin-Yang. you read that right.
- The Stinger: most episodes, to varying degrees of importance and hilarity.
- Trope Overdosed: One of the more trope-heavy animations on the Internet.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Lupis and Rune have these.
- The Other Darrin: The cast tends to change at times, with Luna having some of the most voice actors.
- Wham Episode: Let’s face it, Episode 16 on is just one long list of WHAM after WHAM after WHAM.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Episodes 17 and 20, for Lupis and Rune, respectively.
- Wham Line: ”Great Creator... I remember you now! You’re a son of Balder!” Your jaw is now free to drop.
- On a slightly lower tier of whammishness, there's the moment in Episode 23 where Fang finally reveals his plan:
Fang: If it could get out, it only makes sense that we could get in!
- And at the very end of episode 23, part two, is a lighter wham line (most people knew this already due to Word of God) when Luna runs into Saber and Alari:
Luna: Alari? Dad?
- A massive wham line in Episode 24:
Lupis: I'm the last son of Balder! Congratulations! You found me!
Rune: Are you now?
Rune: Or are you the first son of Rune?