Visual Novel: Fortune Arterial
Cue the Buffy
Kouhei Hasekura has spent his entire life moving from place to place, but that's about to end. He moves to Tamatsu Island, a place he stayed seven years ago. He'll be attending Shuchikan Academy, an elite private school which incorporates junior high and high school in a six-year English system. As he approaches the school where his new life will begin, he runs into the student council vice president, Erika Sendou. As they're about to shake hands, Erika suddenly runs away. This marks the beginning of a tale of school life, romance and...vampires?
Based on the Visual Novel
of the same name by August (which also made Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na
), Fortune Arterial
into a Twelve-Episode Anime
, Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakusoku
in the fall of 2010, as well as an Updated Re-release
for the PS3
with the same title (it was later canceled). The series also received an OVA, bundled with one of the manga volumes. There's also a Fan Translation
incoming, with two partial patches released.
Tropes in Fortune Arterial include:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council
- Accidental Pervert — Kouhei, after Iori switches the signs on the baths as a prank.
- Always in Class One
- Anime of the Game
- Back to School: Of course.
- Bleached Underpants: The anime.
- Bishie Sparkle: Iori unleashes one when he gets ready to use the pool. Probably a Shout-Out to another sparkly vampire.
- Brilliant but Lazy — Kuze. Almost failing every subject other than math, which she tops, but some think she's doing it deliberately.
- Broken Bird — Kiriha.
- Bromantic Foil — Tsukasa Hachimandaira
- The Casanova: Iori.
- Elaborate University High — So much that there are 108 spots for people to photograph as part of
orientation Kanade's pamphlet work.
- Emotionless Girl — Kiriha.
- Extranormal Institute
- Hair Decorations — Erika, Kiriha.
- Frying Pan of Doom — Mentioned as Sister Amaike's favorite weapon for those who misbehave.
- Genki Girl — Kanade
- Girlish Pigtails — Shiro.
- Healing Factor — A trait of vampires. Iori was able to heal his hand after stabbing it with a knife.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad — This describes the animosity that Kuze Kiriha feels toward her master, Sendou Kaya.
- Ill Girl — Haruna
- Laser-Guided Amnesia — Yet another trait of vampires. They can erase a person's memory to uphold the masquerade.
- Also Haruna, who lost her memories in an accident while she was young. The two are not unrelated.
- It was Erika who gave her amnesia when they were playing as children, and it was an accident that caused Erika to use her powers to save Haruna. In turn she gave Haruna amnesia of that incident and later giving her memories back during the true end route of the Visual Novel.
- Nice Hat — One rarely sees Kanade without a beret on.
- The Nicknamer — Kanade. She calls Haruna "Hina", Erika "Eririn", Sister Amaike "Maru-chan", Kuze "Kirikiri", etc.
- Ojou — Erika, due to her position as Student Council Vice President.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Playing Against Type — Hitomi Nabatame, who best known for playing mature and ice-cold Lady of War characters like Kanu Unchou of Ikkitousen, returns to playing the Moe Genki Girl as Kanade after almost 10 years of not playing such characters. It's almost impossible to recognize her.
- Porn Stash — While it wasn't explicitly stated to be so, Kanade was pawning off a graduate's porn, or would have, before Sister Amaike interrupted.
- Really 700 Years Old — While Erika says she's about Kouhei's age, Iori is much older. He's in sepia-toned pictures of sports festivals from years ago, and looks exactly the same. There's also Kiriha Kuze, who happens to know the 'mother' the Sendou siblings to a personal degree.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning — Both Sendou siblings when they activate their vampiric powers.
- Scenery Porn — Rich, golden sunsets are the norm here.
- School Idol — Iori for the female student population, Erika for the male student population.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black
- Secret Keeper — Kouhei, though Iori used it as blackmail to get him onto the Student Council.
- Sensei-chan — Subverted for Sister Amaike, who shows great annoyance at being called "Maru-chan" by Kanade and "Shizuko-chan" by Iori.
- Sibling Yin-Yang — Kanade's the loud Genki Girl, while Haruna is the soft-spoken Nice Girl. For the Sendou siblings, Erika is straight-laced, while Iori is a scenery-chewing prankster. The Tougi siblings have the stoic Seiichiro and the cheery Shiro for contrast.
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious — The details aren't known, but Kouhei is... something to vampires but only to Erika to be specific. The truth is that when Kouhei was still living within the island he drowned in the lake which was in the care of the Tougi family; little did he know this also happens to be the 'death bed' of Kaya's dad. Before he died he stabbed himself first then jump into the lake thus throwing his blood into the lake which turned into tiny crystals, which Kouhei accidentally swallowed while drowning. How is this incident related to Erika? Well guess what? She turns out to be the second sibling of the Tougi's which only Seiichiro knows. Their father, while Erika was still a baby, made her swallow the same red crystal from the lake before getting her adopted to the Sendou household. Now the two crystals resonate and call for each other in their respective bodies. This is why Erika finds Kouhei delicious.
- Student Council President — Iori Sendou.
- Teacher/Student Romance — Iori is very interested in Sister Amaike and it is hinted by her Luminescent Blush, despite her objections towards his familiarity, that the feeling is mutual. When she turns away from Iori, his eyes go red while explaining how a vampire's powers only work on those that the vampire is interested in. She turns around in shock, his eyes go back to normal and he exclaims "Just kidding!"
- Apparently this was true when Sister Amaike was still a student in the school and Iori was dating her, but because of a certain incident that Kaya caused he had to erase Amaike's memories of their time.
- Token Mini-Moe — Shiro (who's also older than she looks.)
- Twelve-Episode Anime — The Animated Adaptation of the Visual Novel.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension — For the anime, at least. Despite being based off an adult visual novel, the anime ends with Kouhei's relationship with Erika unresolved, and his relationship with the other members of the harem conveniently forgotten.
- World Tree — There's one of these on campus.
- Who Wants to Live Forever? — This is a point factor in Kiriha Kuze's route from the game due to her budding relationship with Kouhei.