Video Game: Second Wind
Second Wind is a flash-based Roguelike Video Game.It offers a wide variety of character classes, a keen sense of humor, and shout outs to NetHack and media in general. A key gameplay feature is the Second Wind, which lets you return from death once—once you die again, though, that's it.The game can be found here.
This game provides examples of:
- A God Am I: In the backstory, Randall Smith was this even among the other gods and betrayed them, rising above their influence.
- Adam Smith Hates Your Guts: Shopkeepers regularly increase prices; this is dependent on weapon and armor equipment upgrades.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: The third area.
- Back from the Dead: The Second Wind.
- Early Game Hell: The first area doesn't let you respawn when killed a second time.
- Easy Levels, Hard Bosses: Once you level up enough in certain areas, especially if you have good classes, random encounters become fairly easy. The bosses...are not.
- Fallen Hero: Monsters in the third area.
- Goddamn Friggin' Bats
- Guide Dang It: Getting out of the areas.
- Getting the best ending.
- Have a Nice Death: There's unique battle messages for every enemy, including death messages.
- Kill the God: You defeat the pantheon of gods in the third area.
- Killer DM: You fight him as the boss of the first area.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: Easy, Normal, and NetHack.
- It Only Works Once: The Second Wind.
- Multiple Endings: Four of them:
- Really Bad: You accept Randall Smith's offer to rule together with him, but he betrays you and kills you.
- Bad: You fight Randall Smith, but lose.
- Average: You fight Randall Smith and defeat him, taking his power for yourself. But since you also destroyed the other gods, the world is in ruins, making your victory a pyrrhic one.
- Great: If you defeat Randall Smith but leave the other gods alone, you assume Smith's power and rule the world for ages to come.
- One of Us: The creator made the game to get it troped.
- Purposefully Overpowered: The rewards from killing the pantheon of gods.
- Shout-Out: To NetHack, Deus Ex, The Protomen, and many other works.
- The Three Trials: Seen in the second area.
- We Can Rule Together: Randall Smith offers this; accepting gets you a Nonstandard Game Over.
- When Trees Attack: Ent trees and various flora.