It's no DeLorean, but it'll have to do.Pro Pinball: Timeshock!
is the second pinball game
in the Pro Pinball
series. Created by Cunning Developments
, it was released in 1997 for the IBM Personal Computer
, then subsequently ported to the Apple Macintosh
and Sony Play Station
. It is also available for the Sega Dreamcast
as part of "Pro Pinball Trilogy".Timeshock!
tells the story of a time-traveling scientist who is out to stop a shockwave of anti-time from traveling backwards through time and destroying all of existence. The player must explore the continents to find Tachyonium to power the timedrive, then visit different eras for fragments of a time crystal. Locate and lock a fragment in each era, and pick up any interesting souvenirs along the way. The goal is to ultimately gather and lock four fragments, then travel to the Dawn of Time and create a second shockwave to nullify the first one.
As with the other Pro Pinball
features a pre-rendered playfield with several camera positions, allowing the game to offer detailed graphics and fast gameplay. It used a refined version of the game engine from The Web
, allowing for even smoother gameplay and more realistic ball physics. As a result, Timeshock!
is considered by many as the best game in the Pro Pinball
series, both for its complex ruleset and clever use of the time-travel premise.
Pro Pinball: Timeshock! demonstrates the following tropes:
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome/Power Crystal: The Time Crystal shards, naturally.
- Ancient Rome: One of the eras is named "Ancient Rome".
- Apocalypse How: The game is all about avoiding a Class Z event.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Tachyonium.
- Atlantis: Accessible after lighting all seven continents, and needed to start Global Domination.
- Cosmic Keystone: The Time Crystals.
- Difficulty Levels: In addition to the normal game, Timeshock! has "Tournament Mode" (all random elements and extra balls are eliminated), "Challenge Mode" (competitive multiplayer with separate scores but a common game), and "Novice Mode" (one ball, a two-minute ball saver, and all empty continents are awarded initially).
- Excited Show Title!
- Fixed Camera
- The Future: The "Distant Future" era.
- One Million BC: The "Prehistoric Age" era.
- Place Beyond Time: The End of Time, only available as a prelude to starting the Wizard Mode.
- Plot Coupon: Tachyonium and Time Crystals.
- Primordial Chaos: The Dawn of Time.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong/Time Travel: The main plot of the game.
- Skill Shot:
- Shoot the lit ramp or lane at launch for a 5 million point bonus.
- Press both flipper buttons for a second before launch to activate the Secret Skill Shot, which is scored by hitting the letter "A" in MAGNET.
- Spelling Bonus: SCAN for the time scanner, WARP to light Time Warp Frenzy, and MAGNET to turn on the MagnoSave.
- Take Over the World: Global Domination, where the player has one minute to light all the continents for massive bonuses.
- Timed Mission: Several of the Explorations, as well as the sub-Wizard Mode, "Timeshock Frenzy".
- Unexpectedly Obscure Answer: Certain souvenirs in the game can be combined to yield special awards, such as using a papyrus scroll and the first wheel to activate the Ultra Spinner. The game will give an audio hint when this happens; spell S-C-A-N to light the scanner, then shoot the middle scoop to activate it and get the award.
- Video Mode: Maneuver your craft down a pipe, dodging mines and collecting awards. Achieving a perfect run doubles the score for that session.
- Wizard Mode:
- "Timeshock Frenzy" is the game's sub-Wizard Mode, available after locking all four crystal fragments. This is a five ball multiball and lasts two minutes, during which you must shoot a crystal fragment (ball) into the playfield's center crystal, then shoot the middle scoop to launch the counter-shockwave and score 1 billion points. The player completing it fastest is recognized as the "Master of Time".
- The Wizard Mode is "Wizard Frenzy", which is only available if you manage to complete Timeshock Frenzy and save reality and have all eight pieces of Tachyonium. This enables you to go to The End of Time and start a six-ball-multiball mode that lasts for one minute.