Video Game: Pokémon Dash
Pokémon Dash is a racing game developed by Ambrella, and the first Pokémon game to be released on the Nintendo DS. The player uses the touch screen to control Pikachu in a race against five other Pokémon. On the way to the goal, racers must pass checkpoints scattered across the map. Easier difficulties require these checkpoints to be passed in a specific order, while the Expert difficulty allows them to be passed in any order.Each difficulty has five Cups, further divided into five courses each. Further courses may be unlocked through events or connectivity to older Pokémon games.
Tropes used in Pokémon Dash:
- Balloonacy: Averted in actual gameplay, where all flying is done in proper hot air balloons, but the boxart and a pair of hidden sprites play this straight.
- Competitive Multiplayer: Supports up to six players, and is the only mode to allow you to play as a species other than Pikachu.
- Early-Bird Cameo: This game was the first in the franchise to include Munchlax, a species which made its main series debut two years later in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.
- Green Hill Zone: The tutorial and the Green Cup take place in a lush, green area.
- Mucking In The Mud: A literal version appears in parts of the Blue Cup, but really, any terrain except paved roads slows you down.
- Nitro Boost: Running across special patterns on the ground negates slowdown on the corresponding terrain types.
- No Plot? No Problem!: There is no plot. None whatsoever.
- Old Save Bonus: 417 additional courses in the shape of Pokémon may be unlocked by inserting a Gen III main series game into the DS' GBA slot.
- Time Trial: Time Attack mode, which is limited to courses the player has completed in other modes.