Video Game: Owlboy
Owlboy is an upcoming indie game by D-Pad Studio. It is a platformer with a mixture of action and puzzles, starring the Owlboy, named Otus, and his various Gunner partners. Currently a demo exists, spanning the first dungeon.
This game provides examples of:
- Advancing Boss of Doom: The Temple Guardian.
- Alas, Poor Yorick: Refenced, as Alphonse apparently has a Skull he uses for acting.
- Boss Arena Idiocy: The Sky Pirates would've had Otus if not for those rocks hanging from the ceiling.
- Cape Wings: Otus's Owl Cloak seems to be this.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Alphonse is defeated, he's happy to cooperate with Otus. His partner isn't so keen on the idea, though.
- Dual Boss: Both Sky Pirates fight you together, but only one attacks at a time.
- Emergency Energy Tank: The Canteen is a refillable kind.
- Flunky Boss: The giant Gawk, who arrives with a swarm of smaller Gawks.
- Heroic Mime: Otus, who can only respond to questions with chirping.
- MacGuffin Guardian: The Guardian of the Owl Temple, apparently.
- Nice Hat: Otus can wear his Gunners' hats to effect how his Gunners shoot.
- Our Gnomes Are Weirder: Well, they're blind, cavedwelling, and enjoy a healthy diet of adventurers.
- Pass Through the Rings: The game's... currency?
- Power-Up Food: The various colored 'Ish' items, which grant a (usually temporary) bonus to Otus's abilities:
- Save Point: A sophisticated gentlemen fish. Makes no sense but... it's awesome.
- Sky Pirate: The game's antagonists.
- Temple of Doom: The Owl Temple isn't the safest place in the world, but much of the danger seems to come from a monster infestation.
- To Be Continued: At the end of the Demo.
- Video Game Flight: Otus can fly almost anywhere, except when under a waterfall.
- World in the Sky: So far the entire world of Owlboy seems to be a bunch of floating islands.