is a third person shooter developed by Pangea Software
and released for the Apple Macintosh
in 1998. In Nanosaur, you play a genetically engineered velociraptor from the the year 4122 sent to the Cretaceous Period to retrieve the eggs of five dinosaur species to save the Nanosaur species in the future. You only have twenty minutes to complete your mission before the asteroid hits Earth. During the mission, your Nanosaur will have to blast its way through several dinosaurs while collecting weapons and powerups.
A modified version, titled Nanosaur: Extreme!
was released in 2002 for the Macintosh and Windows PC. This version is exactly the same as the regular version, except more dinosaurs appear at a time as well as more powerups available.
A sequel was released in 2004 titled Nanosaur II: Hatchling
. In this game, it is assumed that the first Nanosaur completed its mission successfully and returned to the future. But a group of rebel Nanosaurs stole the eggs and took them to distant planets, where they intend to use them to build an army to fight their battles against Earth. But one egg was left behind, which turns out to be a pterodactyl. This pterodactyl is sent on a mission to retrieve the stolen eggs and return them safely to Earth. The basic concept of Nanosaur II
is similar to that of the first installment, in terms of collecting eggs and powerups, except that it contains three levels that take place on different planets, and you must kill hostile dinosaurs as well as turrets and other future defenses.
Nanosaur contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The human race is extinct in 4122.
- The Cretaceous Is Always Doomed: You were sent back twenty minutes before the asteroid hits.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: If you thought Dinosaurs were bad enough, you also have lava-balls, spore-shooting fungi, and rolling boulders to worry about!
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Lethal Lava Land: The second environment after the green rainforest zone.
- Made of Explodium: Dinosaurs, apparently.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: You are a velociraptor, armed with a jetpack and a laser cannon.
- Or a pterosaur, with a jetpack, various weapons, and a sonic scream.
- Raptor Attack: The Nanosaur looks nothing like a velociraptor, not even having the sickle claws on its feet. It looks like a midget allosaurus instead.
- Inspection of the game files will reveal a skeleton called "Deinon.skeleton" This hints that the Nanosaur is meant to be a Deinonychus, not a Velociraptor.
- The velociraptors from the sequel are JurassicPark-styled as usual.
- Somewhere, a Palaeontologist is Crying: Stegosaurus did not live during the Cretaceous Period, they lived during the Jurassic.
- Dilophosaurus also lived in the Jurassic. And like in Jurassic Park, it has a frill and spitting venom.
- Stock Dinosaurs: You are a velociraptor, and you fight tyrannosaurus rex, stegosaurus, pteranodons, triceratops, and dilophosaurus.
- The sequel has you playing as a pterosaur, and the enemies are brachiosaurus, velociraptors, and rhamphorhynchus.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: These like to pounce on you.