Gladiator meets Twin Peaks. Or Braveheart meets The X-Files, depending on which side you play.That's the best way to describe this Western RPG from the creators of Avernum and Geneforge.In Britain during the time of the Roman occupation, a band of Roman soldiers and a band of Celtic warriors are both sent to the mysterious valley of Shadowvale, which seems to be on the very edge of the realm of faerie.After carrying off a few typical adventure game quests, the main characters soon begin to get the wrong people angry.
Offers examples of:
- Because Destiny Says So
- Destiny is a committee of faeries, some of whom want you to fail and the other side to win. The compromise is your initially incompetent band.
- Flying Dutchman: Implied to be the fate of the main party of Celtic warriors at the end.
- Gladiator Games: How goblins and Fomorians entertain themselves.
- Our Goblins Are Different: Unlike the goblins in Spiderweb's other games, the goblins in Nethergate are fairly intelligent and one of them can even join your party for a time.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: When your Roman party ambushes a few goblins resting by a campfire, they are surprised that the greenskins act like war-weary veterans instead of behaving like savage beasts they are supposed to be.
- To Hell and Back: While Annwn is not really a Hell, you are still going into the afterlife/other world in search of a MacGuffin.
- Video Game Remake: Nethergate: Resurrection.