Video Game: Astérix
The famed Astérix, the French gaul who resists now and ever the Roman invasion, appeared in an arcade-exclusive 1992 Beat 'em Up by Konami.(He also appeared in an Atari 2600 game that was a rethemed version of Taz, but this page is not about that.)
Astérix provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The missions are meant to be based on Asterix stories. Actually, they just establish a location, and that's all. You have to had read the books to understand the idea. For example, the mission "Asterix in Britain" never made it to Britain itself, it's all the part in the sea before reaching it.
- Bonus Stage: A chariot race, and a visit to the useless pirates. Each one appears twice.
- Boss Room: The circus at the end of the Spanish campaign, and the final battle.
- Boss Rush: The final arena has the romans in turtle formation of the first mission. The tiger fights similarily to the Auroch of the Spanish campaign, and the last two gladiators fight similarily to the two bosses of the British campaign.
- Canon Discontinuity: The mission to rescue Panacea is not based on any specific Asterix book. The main image is the cover of "Asterix in Corsica", and the boss is a guy from "Asterix in Spain" (which has its own mission).
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : Not even here Obelix is allowed to drink the magic potion. Asterix's Healing Potion is the magic potion, and Obelix's is a boar. And if there are 2 player, there is a magic potion and a boar... but Obelix can not drink the potion.
- Gratuitous Spanish: "Olé!"
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Asterix and Obelix can throw the romans away, taking down the romans in the way, or even shake them around.
- Healing Potion: A magic potion or a boar delivered by Ideafix, a kiss of Falbala, the boars of the first mission, some fruits here and there...
- Kick Them While They Are Down: There are several ways to attack the Romans while they are down, bosses included.
- Shield-Bearing Mook: The Romans in the last mission.
- Stalked by the Bell: If you stay there too much and do not advance, Cacophonix will begin to sing, and the music notes kill!