- The most notable Tear Jerker comes early on in the game. Despite their best efforts to hold off the Tyranids and buy time for the inhabitants of the Moon to evacuate, eventually the Lunar Princesses find that their forces have been annihilated to the last rabbit, and they stand alone against the Great Devourer. Rather than allow themselves to be killed, eaten and processed, the Princesses decide to take the only avenue left to them and commit Seppuku in order to cleanse the Moon of all life on it, denying the Tyranids the meat of their victory.
- But it turns out that it was a case of a Senseless Sacrifice, as they had inadvertently finished what the Tyranids were gonna do from the start of their Moon invasion, which was turn the whole damn moon using all the bio matter from the dead bodys from the battles into a giant living Mook Maker. This as a result had the moon get a low level Exterminatus called for it and it gets Glassed to prevent this.
- The surprisingly poignant departure of Magnus the Red.
- Much later on, we have Hong Meiling's execution at Sakuya's hands while Remilia looks on in mounting horror and comprehension. It is made worse by the fact that Meiling, having been recently given a sliver of freedom from the Daemonic taint possessing her, is genuinely repentant for all the evil she caused and was doing her best to goad the protagonists into killing her, thereby preventing her from destroying the planet with her daemonic powers.
- When Zee finally goes into detail about her torture at the hands of Bickerstaff Jr, she reveals that he rendered her sterile by burning her ovaries. If that weren't enough, Isaacnote tells Zee that Arcturus never really loved her, finding a new woman just a month after her capture. Arcturus of course proves that this couldn't be farther from the truth.
Tear Jerker / The Imperium Of Man Comes To Gensokyo
Considering the nature of the disparate elements which make up The Imperium Of Man Comes To Gensokyo, you wouldn't think that this game could wring tears from your eyes. And you would be completely, irrevocably mistaken.