The Andromeda Strain
is a 2008 miniseries reimagining the original Michael Chrichton novel about a group of scientists investigating a deadly extra-terrestrial disease. It was produced by the Sci Fi Channel
, and part of the marketing for the miniseries included the ARG What Happened in Piedmont?
While the miniseries was panned by many critics, it was still nominated for six Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries.
This miniseries contains examples of:
- Alternate Reality Game: What Happened In Piedmont is an ARG for the miniseries.
- Fanservice: Actress Christa Miller, naked during the sanitation sequence.
- Stable Time Loop: The 2008 version.
- Green Aesop - Turns out the only way to kill the disease is with a rare strain of bacterium found only in deep sea volcanic vents which were destroyed in the future for their mineral resources (don't even try to make sense of it). People in the future somehow found this out despite the bacterium having been totally wiped out, thus they sent the disease back in time to infect Earth while we still had a chance of killing it.
- Off with His Head!: One of the suicides in Piedmont. With a chainsaw.