Series / Freaky
is a New Zealand series. It's a live-action kid's show, compared in The Other Wiki
to a kid's-grade Twilight Zone
. (Or, a Kiwi version of Are You Afraid of the Dark?
.) Set in standard places such as a mall, at home, or at school, each episode starts with a normal person going about their routine and then everything quickly turning weird
This series exhibits the following tropes:
- Almighty Janitor: A troublemaking student discovers too late that the school caretaker is some kind of supernatural being who commands an army of floor buffers. Said troublemaker ends up a permanent stain on the floor of the school gym.
- Animate Inanimate Object: "Signs". Guess what moves.
- Demonic Dummy: It goes as far as turning its owner into a second doll. A poster of him can be seen flapping from a telephone pole.
- Evil Elevator: Variation of this, where the elevator is bedecked with a host of traps to obliterate anyone unfortunate to tick off its operator. This manifests in a series of levels that are all potentially fatal, and may as a whole be never-ending.
- He Who Fights Monsters: One episode had a bullied kid be given a super-suit that gave him powers. He ended up worse than the bullies, only to be faced down at the end by one of the kids he'd bullied - she has an even more powerful suit.
- Swallowed Whole: A boy loves swimming, so he jumps into the pool, is somehow transported into prehistoric times then gets back to present day time. He decides to jump into the pool again using the diving board (as he thinks it's safe to go back to the water now) It isn't. It's now inhabited by a giant aquatic dinosaur that eats him in one bite CHOMP
- Tested on Humans: In one episode, a girl objects to the 'cruelty' that comes from running rats in a maze. Her science teacher and the other male student scoff at this and begin to eat the rats in the maze. Mortified, the girl runs for her life, only to find that the doors are not real and she cannot open them. When the girl is cornered by the teacher and student, she is lifted into the air by a giant green hand. It turns out that the school is actually a maze, with 3 aliens studing the students... including a female one that objects to the cruelty of running humans through the maze.
- Trapped in TV Land: A girl with problems at home gets sucked into a TV where she finds she is part of a perfect Dom Com family. She soon learns that TV perfection is not without its drawbacks.